1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WyoSports (Cheyenne) Sports Bureau Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'll second the restaurant situation. Pure crap.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Rumor right now has it that ACS may end up in Laramie once again.

3. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Thought you were all about the Greenwood gig?

4. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Been wrestling with myself in the scenario that both are offered. The likelihood of that happening is pretty slim. Who gets two job offers at the same time in this business anymore? I put my name in the hat for this job prior to seeing the Greenwood job. If both jobs do get offered I will have to think long and hard and talk to my family. That would be a good problem to have but I am not anticipating it.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I've actually heard of a lot of people getting two offers at once, and last year found myself in that situation. It was a nice spot to be in, I'll be honest.

If you don't mind me asking, do you really think it's wise to discuss two jobs you really want, while still working at another job, and posting under your own name? Especially if you haven't been at the current shop that long.

6. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Kinda, sorta what my point was. If you're pleading for one job on one thread, then doing the same for another job on another thread, it seems a bit, I guess what dirtybird said.

Either way, best of luck. And dirtybird, two jobs at once, huh? Spread the wealth, buddy.

7. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

The pick me, pick me post was sarcasm. I am currently looking to get a job closer to family (good friend who is basically a brother lives in Laramie). I don't see why putting your name in the hat for two different positions hoping one will offer is a bad thing. Won't get any offers if you never apply. Both are great opportunities that I would enjoy getting the opportunity to grow at. Whatever my next job is I won't be leaving quickly. I have never wanted that reputation. I just miss be closer to friends and family. That is the biggest reason I am applying for jobs currently.

As far as my login name being my real name ... you have a point. May try to get it changed or sign up with a different name if that isn't possible.

8. mwsportswriter

mwsportswriter New Member

What's the maximum number of days/weeks editors will take to get back with candidates being considered for the position? After applying, I mean? Does it vary by the publication?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A year. Seriously, I've been called about openings a year after they've been posted because of hiring freezes.

If it's been a week or two, shoot a quick e-mail.

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

A year... that's nuts.

Wonder why they would post a job during a hiring freeze? My paper has had a freeze for a few years, and if someone leaves, (unless it's an editor spot) the job doesn't get advertised, because there isn't one to advertise.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

In more UW sports news, Allen Edwards from WKU just joined the bball staff in Laramie.

12. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I hate to be "that guy" but is there any word on this one? It's still listed on the APSE job board, so I assume they haven't made a hire. The suspense is killing me.

Draft saved Draft deleted