1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WyoSports (Cheyenne) Sports Bureau Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1163504

Company: WyoSports
    Position: SPORTS BUREAU REPORTER
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: April 28, 2011
    Job ID: 1163504

Description:

Come join a sports bureau that features two of the more dynamic sports staffs in Wyoming. WyoSports combines the efforts of the Wyoming Tribune Eagle in Cheyenne and the Laramie Daily Boomerang to provide southeast Wyoming with the best local sports coverage around. We are looking for a self-motivated journalist who would be based in Cheyenne and who would have an opportunity to cover a wide range of sports. High school sports would be the main point of emphasis, but there are opportunities to cover events at the University of Wyoming as well as baseball in the summer, professional rodeo and a myriad of community and youth sports. We are looking for a well-rounded writer who not only can produce gamers and features but trend pieces and enterprise work as well. Page design experience isn’t required, but some page work is part of the job. Cheyenne is a town of 60,000 people just north of the Colorado border on the High Plains of southeast Wyoming and is easily within reach of both Fort Collins, Colo., and Denver. Outdoor opportunities abound as well. Please send resume, cover letter and writing samples to: Robert Gagliardi, WyoSports Editor, 702 West Lincolnway, Cheyenne, WY 82001, or via email to rgagliardi@wyosports.net. Please, no phone calls.

2. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Hmm I got a good friend and high school teammate that lives in the area. I was planning on waiting until July to start applying for new gigs but this is tempting. Time to do some deep thinking.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This job was open last April. Where did the last writer go?

It will be tough to get by on $25,000 in Laramie. There's an energy boom in the state and housing prices have gone up and up.

4. Matt Stephens

I live an hour from Laramie. The place is a dump.

5. dm19

dm19 Member

But Robert Gagliardi is a good guy and I would think he'd be a solid boss. He works out of the Cheyenne office, but buzzes over to Laramie too. Their new sports setup between the two papers is interesting, but may be a forerunner of what we will one day all see.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Robert Gagliardi gets a huge endorsement from me. If you're going to live in Wyoming, the Cheyenne/Laramie area is probably the best part, at least for professional types. Also, I maintain this is the opportunity for a rising star to come in and do great work and find ways to make a mark on a Division 1 beat.

By the way, as a country kid who has been in cities far too long, there's something awesome about being in the middle of nowhere. At least for a while. Just a personal thought, though.

7. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

I did some stringer work for them for a Wyoming men's bball road game and Robert seemed okay. I applied for the position when it was open in April, but I didn't hear a word back at all about the post. Plus the paperwork for the stringer work kept getting lost, but I did receive the check so that was weird.

I would say go for it, but I won't be applying, mainly because I started my new position just over 2 months ago. I bet there will be a number of people who apply though.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This job is based in Cheyenne, not Laramie, and you can easily get by on $25,000 a year in Cheyenne especially if you are young and single. I will join with the others in saying that Gagliardi is good people. This is a good job. You'll get to do as much as you prove you can handle, big features, column writing, Wyoming coverage, etc. The website sucks, but it's an area where the paper is still read fairly well and for better or worse they try to be innovative with the print edition. I believe they just did pretty well in the APSE contest. Cheyenne's not a bad place, and it's very close to Fort Collins and Denver. You could do a lot worse than this stop.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It may not be the garden spot of the world, but it is far from a dump. Beautiful campus, nice downtown, very nice residential areas convenient to campus, 30 minutes from the Snowies, 90 minutes from some of the best trout fishing in the country, and none of the traffic that regularly brings Fort Collins to a complete standstill.

It's more expensive than Cheyenne because it's nicer. You have a university instead of an AFB.

And I've seen plenty of photos on the Boomerang website.

10. Matt Stephens

What traffic is that? And most Wyoming grads I know who aren't from there call Laramie America's armpit. UW does have some nice athletic facilities, but other than east Grand, I don't know how it's much nicer than Cheyenne.

Casper is pretty, however.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Been brought to an absolute standstill many times on Forest, on 14 when the train rolls through, and most every day at 5 p.m.

Guess we will agree to disagree.

And anyone who calls Laramie America's Armpit has never been to Grand Junction or Pueblo.

12. Pueblo is definitely a bigger armpit than Laramie, but GJ definitely better than either. By a wide margin.

As for the job itself, I love the area and would be tempted to apply, if not for the fact I'm not looking for an entry-level salary.

Draft saved Draft deleted