1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyoming beat reporter at Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gus Bode, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm guessing 30k ballpark. Wyoming is less expensive than some other places. And I would consider this the primary beat in the entire state. Not an entry-level job, but you wouldn't need 10 years at the LA Times to qualify, either.

I know someone who would kick serious butt on a beat like that. Will see if he decides to apply.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll play.

Is this true? Where the last guy to have this job go?

Where have other alumni at this paper (or of this job) gone on to?

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Last guy was entry-level.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Last guy went to FoxSports. Job ad said previous reporters have gone on to CBSSports and ESPN.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.
    "This beat has helped propel former employees into big-time gigs at CBSSports.com, Foxsports.com and ESPN.com, to name a few. "
    Read the ad next time before asking questions that have the answer to said question stated right there in it.

Unrelated, I do not believe that "Search For Jobs" button works in Firefox.

6. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Zack Creglow is one of the best young sports editors out there. He (and his team) are doing great work and putting out a high-quality section every day. Although it's not the Moddy Seal of Approval, this one's definitely got mine.

7. azom

azom Member

I'm guessing close to or a bit above this.

Alumni network from this beat/paper is pretty extensive. In addition to the places already mentioned, former sports guys have moved to Big 10 and SEC beats, USA Today, major papers in Florida and Colorado... off the top of my head.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Ben Frederickson is heading to Fox Sports Midwest to be a columnist. He was only in Casper for a year, but did some really good work on the beat, including breaking the Luke Martinez news. Working rival beats, I got to know Ben fairly well. Good dude (even if he went to Mizzou). I'll definitely miss him, but look forward to meeting the next guy (or gal) to come through.

9. Musical chairs for people swapping jobs between the Intermountain West and St. Louis.

10. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

I'll second what Szvetitz said. Zack is terrific.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Szvetitz looks like me, so his seal means the same thing. I'd give it anyway. Great gig.

12. Ben Frederickson

Ben Frederickson New Member

Hey everybody,

For pay and other specifics, I'd recommend contacting the editor, Zack Creglow. But I wanted to second what others have already said regarding Creglow and the Star-Tribune. UW is the biggest show in a state with no other D1 colleges or pro teams, and the paper treats it like that (check APSE awards since Creglow got to Casper). This beat offers the opportunity to do a little bit of everything: columns, features, feature gamers, investigative and non-traditional storytelling. Working in Wyoming was a huge benefit for me, as it has been for others and will continue to be for the next guy or girl to get the job.

-Ben Frederickson

Draft saved Draft deleted