1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WV considers "Tebow" bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 17, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I guess I would support home schooled kids having opportunities to play high school sports on the grounds that the parents of those kids pay taxes also.

But what is to stop a star athlete who is academically suspect from withdrawing from a school, announcing he is home-schooled and no longer worrying about going to class while retaining eligibility?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends on the requirements for home schooling in that state, but that is probably a legitimate concern.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would support home-school kids participating in extracurricular activites -- but only at the public school that's their "home school." No shopping around for the best football, baseball, tennis team or cheerleading squad.

OTOH, there are no shortage of opportunities to meet other kids and participate in sports, so of all the challenges with home schooling, this seems the easiest to handle without a public school bailout.

HanSenSE and Lugnuts like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

West Virginia is a mountainous state, after all.
    [​IMG]

5. That photo runs with Tebow's obit. Even if he's gay.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why is this a "Tebow bill" and not a "Jason Taylor bill"?

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

This is law in Ohio as a result of a state Supreme Court ruling a few years ago. Even allows privately schooled kids to participate in sports at their home district. I'm aware of a few kids who've done it, all have been benchwarmers.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry but if parents make the decision that a school's academic program isn't for their kid then the same school's extra-curricular shouldn't be available. The vast majority of home schooled kids are the parents of fundies who think their kids will be corrupted by public schools. And I know cops who routinely are called to stores to clear out the home schooled kids hanging around at 11 am.
    It's all a fraud.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shofar and lulov, yo!

And definitely for the latke parties.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the dumbest posts you've ever made.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents sent five kids through eight years of Catholic grade school -- 40 tuition years -- and never asked for or received a dime in tax money. They also happily paid public school taxes all those years and frequently campaigned for millage issues. As a result the local high school was one of the top academic schools in the state, so we all went there rather than the far inferior catholic high school.

If you want to avail yourselves of varsity sports or other extracurricular activities, either go to the public schools or pay the freight for your private schools to offer them.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some home school kids are "fundies."

When our oldest was struggling in a "traditional school" after first grade, we looked at alternatives that included home schooling. There was a setup through a church that basically did a home school curriculum through this church group (for parents not actually home or capable of home schooling).

Their stated attitude toward public school was that you should keep your kids away from those influences unless you are willing send them as some type of missionary work.

I skeedaddled.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted