1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTH is happening in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's not right, is it?

Something should be done.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Five days of print a week:

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just saw this. Not saying which days, though.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised this hasn't been more widespread yet. I can understand the hesitation about going down that road, though. You dump 2 days, and it gets a shit ton easier to drop more.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see what affect the Guild has in preventing loss of jobs.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thursday and Saturday would probably make the most sense. I would say Tuesday, except that would be bad when the Steelers play on Monday night.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Wow it's started.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What is going to happen to the monthly subscription price. My guess is that that it will remain the same. If circulation does not decline much then it certainly makes a lot of money for the publisher. In that case revenues stay about the same but costs drop.

But my guess is that papers that have tried this have seen big drops in circulation. I know that Gannett has reduced frequency of publication at a couple papers in Mississippi. The fact that Gannett has not moved more papers leads me to believe that the idea has not been a roaring success.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Started? My old paper went to three-a-week six years ago ...

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Also note that while Gannett has not expanded its reductions, it also has not reversed the existing reductions. Reduction of frequency will become a trend, particularly if newsprint costs continue to rise and/or the tariff saber-rattling doesn't stop soon.

11. LanceyHoward

I think once a decision is made there is no turning back. If, for example, a paper loses 10,000 subscribers because of a move to three times a week they will not return en mass if it returns to daily.

12. LanceyHoward

Are you able to provide details about the effects on circulation and advertising?

Draft saved Draft deleted