1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF - They Changed The Nicene Creed ??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I won't hold hands during the Our Father either. Too holy roller for me.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I just like the WTF in a thread title about church services.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

WTFWJD?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We Catholic Lites -- a.k.a. Episcopalians -- respond with "And with thy spirit" when we get all formal with Rite 1. In some parishes, I am told, when they are gettin' seriously down and funky, the response is "back atcha" ...

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am going with "Peace be upon you, God is good"

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'And also with you' are the only words I know, and pretty sure the only words I'm allowed to say.

If I wanted to be confused in a religious service, I could go back to synagogue and read right to left in hebrew.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"And also with you" is, for Episcopalians, the Rite 2 response. In our church it's Rite 2 for the 9 a.m. service and Rite 1 for the 11:15 a.m. Of course, in special seasons like Lent and Advent, they mix things up ... often to my chagrin. I have three children of prime acolyte age, so we're prominent members of the bullpen.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Damn. Looks like I missed a lot since my last formal Mass I HAD to attend, way back in eighth grade at St. Pius X. That's 29 years for those of you counting at home. Reckon it'll be another 29 before I go to another one.

Organized religion can kiss my arse.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm the cantankerous old f*ck who refuses to change. I will continue to say "And also with you" and all the other refponses as I've said them all my life. If the priest or anyone else at Mass has a problem with that... tough shit.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yup.. tho I'm not as old as Killick, who refponds with F's instead of S's as in the 1700s...

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Yet another reason for me not to go back. First there was the whole "well, you're getting remarried, but for us to recognize your marriage, you'll have to endure a three-year investigation. You can get remarried elsewhere, but for it to be official, you'll have to have a priest present for another ceremony."

Then there was the archdiocese trying to sue my employer for libel, later dispelled when we found a copy of the letter that said they fired the employee of the school that we said earlier had been fired.

I love the rite, the tradition, but I'm thinking a conservative Anglican congregation might be the way to go. Mother Church has really pissed me off the past few years. Guess that's what I got for trying to go back and attend Mass every Sunday. Back to being a C and E, baby!

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ha! Didn't notice that. Thanks, flappy!

Draft saved Draft deleted