1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is Black Label Society?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know it's a band, but is it also a motorcycle gang?

At lunch today, there's a table of three guys in the restaurant. All three had on Black Label Society vests over their leather jackets. One dude was in his 50s, with a Santa Claus beard and Harley-Davidson do-rag. The other two were in the 20s. One was meth skinny and the other looked like he was waiting for a fight to start. All three left on Harleys.

I can't remember the last time I saw three adults wearing identical band gear. Helluva a marketing campaign this band has going, I guess.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Zach Wilde thinks you're a wuss, Inky.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Whatever.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And it's Wylde.

Anyway, I just thought it was odd seeing that. I didn't realize the wanna-be Hell's Angels market was enough to support a band's merchandise sales.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I actually have one of their CDs; not bad workout music, although most of the songs sound roughly the same.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, Canada IS different from The Excited States of America. Here's our Black Label:

[​IMG]

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's the only Black Label I know: the awful beer.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Carling Bassett?
    She used to be smokin'.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Carling Black Label is British.

Then there's Johnny Walker Black Label.

However, the bands' name was taken from the Black Label Bike Club, originally formed in Brooklyn. So I guess the thing has come full circle.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A few years back Black Label became a very "in" beer with the artsy types, mainly because the brewery spend NO money on marketing.

Black Label was a hugely popular beer back in the 50's

Here's one of their great ads:

And GB, Black Label is all-Canadian, developed by Thomas Carling of London, Ontario in the mid 1800's. He exported it to the UK.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Where it became the most popular beer in all the land, in part thanks to a brilliant advertising campaign that used the slogan "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label."

Draft saved Draft deleted