1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF happened to Syracuse football??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Uckin' fugly unis.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

They've been terrible for the last three years. I was at the Carrier Dome for USF-SU two years ago, and South Florida ran all over the Orange.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

If SU loses to Buffalo, Robinson should warm up his resume.
    This program has been running downhill since McNabb graduated in 1999. Pasqualoni was counting on Michael Vick to take over but when he stayed home, Coach P. was screwed.
    Once Jake Crouthamel left, P's time was over because the new AD, knew he had to get off to a good start with the fans and firing P was the way to do it.
    Daryl Gross' problem has been he's more a PR guy. So he hires a NFL guy who had won 2 SBs as a Denver coordinator.
    When Robinson installed the WC offense with P's freeze option players, you knew it would be disasterous.
    Unless they go 0-12, I say Gross gives his hire one year and if they don't make a bowl game in 2008, then it's bye-bye.
    If I was Gross, if Tom Coughlin is fired by the Giants in Jan, I'd give him whatever he wants.
    Coughlin is a SU alum, was successful at BC and his rah-rah crap might work with college players.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Patchs:

That should be when Coughlin is fired.

Remember, Ray Rice had committed to the "Cuse. When Pasqualone was canned, Rice called Schiano and said "I'm coming for a visit."

5. danhawks

danhawks Member

As disgruntled as I was watching that game (and giving a sarcastic cheer when they took the early 3-0 lead) I have to think you let him move one recruiting class in and out before you can him -- that's reasonable -- even though I would toss him today based on a gut reaction to the fact that he seems to have made no improvements to the team since he came in '05.

The problem with Robinson is that he always seems to see the glass half full...he seems to have rose colored glasses on all the time...even 'homer' Matt Park was saying it was time bring the young offensive linemen into the game to give them a chance when the game was out of hand.

The other problem is that the school doesn't know whether it wants a real football team...and as we know, that means a little thuggery from the players. I've heard that Brennan was signed and sealed to come to Cuse but Nancy Cantor spiked that, so he went to Hawaii, and look what became of him.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Karma's a bitch. Syracuse deserves every bad thing that happens to it after the way their fuckstick rookie AD decided to show everybody he had the biggest dick in the room by ripping Pasqualoni on the air during what turned out to be his final game at the school.

Gross is a fucking tool and has no business running an athletic department.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Gross has a sweet box at the Dome, big flat panel TV so he can entertain his guests.
    Of course, he kicked the media off the floor for hoops so he could sell big money seats.
    It's all about business. Look at his hire for tennis coach.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

At least the uniforms go with the fall season ;) ;D

I am a Syracuse basketball fan and have been since the early 1990's. The years I enjoyed the most were when Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly played for the Orange. Following Andrew Rautins right now.

However, the football team is another story.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

G-Rob's first two recruiting classes have actually been OK, but not nearly enough to overcome the horrible job Pasqualoni did his last three seasons.

For what it's worth, Syracuse has not been able to pluck studs out of New Jersey like they did in the old days. One theory is that some of the relationships with high school coaches there went sour over the way Quinton Spotwood was treated after injuring a knee. Spotwood was a worthy successor to Marvin Harrison -- not as good (but then again, who is?) but still electrifying.

Given their history of late in recruiting their own backyard -- Marquis Walker and Mike Hart to Michigan, Greg Paulus to Duke (hoops), Mike Paulus to N.C. -- they can't afford to have to settle for sloppy seconds in N.J.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Syracuse's problems in Jersey probably have more to do with Greg Schiano than anything else.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Rutgers' success is definitely a factor, but SU's problems down there started pre-Schiano.

One other factor is that they had a hard time recruiting QBs while McNabb was there. No one wanted to come in and sit for 2-3 years. The pool of QBs capable of running the freeze-option package was already small and shrank quickly. SU chose poorly when picking through the junk yard at that position.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Don't discount the rise of UConn football. I would say 30 or more kids on their roster are from New Jersey, suburban/upstate New York or eastern Pennsylvania, which 15 years ago, was Syracuse territory. If you have a D-I athlete and you show him Syracuse, then Storrs, and throw in the fact that the stadium is brand new, and you have brand new oncampus facilities, I think he is going to chose Connecticut.

Draft saved Draft deleted