1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF: David Spade's Direct TV commercial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Oct 22, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

David Spade's sorry and wouldn't do it again, but moreso because you didn't like it than it being tasteless:

http://tv.msn.com/the-wrap/spade-regrets-farley-ad/story/?GT1=28103

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I didn't see anything wrong with ad and didn't even think it could be deemed offensive until I read this thread.

In fact, I think it's probably the best one in this entire series of DirecTv spots.

The new one with Dana Carvey might be second.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the Farley family doesn't have a problem with it, and somebody is willing to cut the check - I've got no problem with it.
    For the most part the ads are ripping off sequels or less than classic movies.
    Now if I see Alec Baldwin slumming and doing his Always Be Closing scene to sell DirectTV - I'll be pissed.

4. slytiger

slytiger Member

Exactly, Farley's family would have been compensated.

I'm sure we all remember John Wayne selling light beer from beyond the grave.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Farley's family? I understand your point, but people inside families sell out other family members all the time. If they thought Farley himself wouldn't have a problem with the ad, that's one thing, but if they were using his image to make money for themselves, that's weak sauce.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are you really concerned about Chris Farley's legacy or the artistic integrity of 'Tommy Boy'?
    No matter how fond you were of Farley or the movie, let's have a little perspective.
    This isn't Joyce and 'Ulysses.'

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A conservative estimate would be that the Farley family received $250K for the spot. It wouldn't stun me if it was twice that.

Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

While the Spade one was in bad taste, the new one with Donna Dixon redoing the laundromat scene from Wayne's World is just plain bad.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If John Lennon can sell video games and Walt Whitman can sell jeans, I don't have a problem with Chris Farley selling satellite TV.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying.
    Pantene can have the Mona Lisa washing her hair - a work of art that has been admired for hundreds of years.
    But don't defile the cut-rate comedy I loved in college!

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think anyone is complaining that they defiled "Tommy Boy." I think it's more of an issue of mocking someone who died.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Isn't that Kim Basinger?

Draft saved Draft deleted