1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF: David Spade's Direct TV commercial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You'll see it. It's replacing that weird-ass Black Eye Peas spot.

2. duckncover

duckncover Member

Fat guy in a little coat is one of my favorite moments in the movie, so I like the commercial. Didn't even pay attention to Spade and his stint with the Yankees.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No kidding. That is pretty much the definition "one of these things is not like the other".

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just saw it...

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2009/10/directvs-chris-farley-spot-just-feels-wrong.html

That's beyond wrong. It just made me sad.

5. TVgossipgal

TVgossipgal New Member

David Spade is such an ass... total sell out move, isn't it? Here's the clip:

http://tv.popcrunch.com/tommy-boy-fat-guy-in-a-little-coat-chris-farley-david-spade-directv-commercial-video/

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

just weird.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I can't imagine that Spade needs the money, but the same could be said for Craig T. Nelson, Sigourney Weaver, James Caan and some of the other people who have done them.

The Craig T. Nelson one was creepier, but this one was sad. I know that was one of the funniest scenes in the movie, but they could have found one where Spade didn't have to make fun of him. I'm a huge Spade fan, but that was tough to watch.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Are these ad created by Donnie Deutsch's ad agency? Talk about insufferable douchebags!

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm going to give David Spade the benefit of the doubt (did I really just type that? ???) because I think he has a better understanding of his relationship with Farley and what is "OK" than any of us do.

That said, it probably would have been wise to pass just because of what the public perception was likely to be.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm going to give Spade the benefit of the doubt because of how generous he's been to Farley's family.

But, he should have demanded that they use a different clip from Tommy Boy.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Yes, they are done by Donnie's agency.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It wasn't an exact quote, just an example of someone with enough bucks to take care of her and offset the shame.

as for the direct TV spots, kind of surprised to see Naomi Watts do one for King Kong. Hell, I was surprised she was in King Kong.

Draft saved Draft deleted