1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSOP final table moves to November

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 1, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And don't you think the other thing is -- it will be tougher for a Moneymaker type to win it because the more experienced guys will have four months to dissect the games of the less experienced guys or unknown guys.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. The pros have to love it, they can get their sleep, maybe talk to buddies who got eliminated out by the amateurs. If I'm an amateur who somehow made it to the final table, I'm hating it (well, as much as I can hate being at a WSOP final table). I got there by being in the zone for 4-5 days as an unknown schmuck and now I gotta go cool off (and become a known guy) for four months? Not to mention waiting to get PAID? Don't underestimate that part.

If ESPN wants poker to be respected in the same ballpark as a mainstream sport, this was the worst thing they could do. Does the NBA schedule Game 7s an obnoxiously long time after Game 6s? Right.

The real thing I want to know is whether the penny-pinching stiffs at Harrah's Entertainment will pay the expenses for the players to come back!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have to think this will increase the likelihood of collusion among the final table players.

Sure, they'll all want to win the bracelet. But this gives them months to work on side deals to chop the pot.

4. zagoshe

What would be hilarious to me is if the final nine are all nobodies from nowhere on their week's vacation and really in need of money and they all agree to chop the prize money from the final nine spots evenly nine ways instead of returning four months later to finish the tournament.

Don't laugh -- I've played tournaments where the final six chopped it instead of coming back a second day

5. playthrough

I'd have to think there are clauses against chopping at the final table. Or certainly clauses against talking about it on TV. The last thing ESPN wants is to hear two guys going heads-up working out a deal.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What happens is someone dies in those four months?

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

From what I understand, never having been there, is that you can discuss a chop but not on camera. Anything else is pretty much fair game.

8. playthrough

I wondered about that too, TSP. Call it the "Stu Ungar clause."

9. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Waiting 4 months longer for glorified coin flips. Oh, the horror!

As a poker player I don't really care for this but I would rather be playing than watching anyway.

High Stakes is the only intriguing poker on TV.

10. Inky_Wretch

Now that's a good question. Morbid, but valid.

11. zagoshe

I agree about High Stakes being more compelling but I think it is over rated and here is why -- it would be far more interesting if there were one rule added "no deals like "let's run it twice"..."

That to me is not poker. Either you put your money in and live with the results or you don't -- you don't get a do-over in real poker.

12. Inky_Wretch

Running it multiple times is pretty common during cash games among the pros.

Draft saved Draft deleted