1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ op-ed: Remember when WASPS ran everything? That was awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep, that didn't make much sense. He seemed to be using Reagan and Truman as an argument against meritocracy because neither strived to succeed educationally, yet he neglects to note that both also thoroughly failed to meet to WASP standard in terms of lineage, social class and institutional background.

There were other places where Epstein's distinction between a WASP and a WASP seemed a bit murky to me. He tells us that, despite being from the same family, having attended all the same schools, and having had the same class advantages, George HW Bush was a WASP, but George W. Bush was NOT, because the latter had the audacity to marry a librarian and fake a Texas accent. Personally, I always thought the Bush family epitomized WASPY-ness in general, but apparently letting one middle classer in spoils the whole batch. Who knew?

By Epstein's stringent definition can't say I've ever known any WASPs that were truly WASPs.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That graphic they ran with the article is fucking aces, though.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This guy agrees.

http://johntreed.com/WASPS-did-a-better-job.html

He also makes the distinction without a difference about the editor of the Harvard Law Review vs. the president of the Harvard Law Review.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's nice that white people are feeling more comfortable about being openly racist and classist again.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

WASPs were such benevolent overlords.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Begich. Alaska.

This was the Daily Rundown trivia question earlier this week or maybe last. The holidays have my internal calendar all screwed up.

7. Smallpotatoes

He has a note to explain why he's not with us, however.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Screw the WASPs. Killer bees ruled.

[​IMG]

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've attended all the meetings, and never hear this distinction come up.

Was he not the editor-in-chief? I always assumed he was. Were there two different positions, or is the editor-in-chief just called the President?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did his mother sign it?

11. Smallpotatoes

Of course.

12. Smallpotatoes

This is what the guy claims:

"(Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review, a new, political-only position. Editor is strictly a merit position. Obama is often erroneously said to have been editor. Like hell he was!)"

I suspect the author, who has issues with black people, pulled this out of his ass. Editor, President, there's no difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted