1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: "Drug War" has cost taxpayers $1 trillion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Who's condemning a country here? Nobody I see. I was merely mocking the fairy tale notion that this can be resolved by eliminating demand.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, lmao, cutting off the supply has worked so well....

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nancy Reagan says Just Say No!!!11!!

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah, and that worked too.
    ::)

It taught grade-schoolers to memorize a phrase.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can't eliminate supply or demand. But you can regulate supply. In the case of marijuana, just fricking legalize, regulate and tax the shit out of it. A net gain for everybody except for those in the private prison and illegal sales and distiribution businesses.

Dealing with harder drugs is tougher nut to crack. But with weed, the answer's easy.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. Beating the shit out of Mexico would just move the market elsewhere if there's a demand (and obviously the Middle East is a market). Hell, America itself is coming on as a market. It's just a cleaner market.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Tax the shit out of it and you have the same social problems you have now. People will buy it to support their habits at the expense of their families and children.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So fucking what? They are anyways, at least we'll no longer be enriching violent criminals, we'll have more space in our jails, our police resources can be directed in a more productive directions, users who want help can actively seek help instead of feeling like they must be in hiding, and perhaps best of all, it would bring in a shitload of tax revenue to apply against our obscene deficit. Net pluses all around.

And marijuana is not the drug causing the "social problems" and "habits", at least not in comparison to our favored legal drug, alcohol. I didn't say to legalize heroin or crack, I said to legalize weed. A huge difference there.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Is there anyone, anyone at all, who grew up during the 1980s that didn't turn "Just say No" into a fucking punchline?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Actually, screw alcohol. It's Meth. Meth that has eliminated the accessibility of many over the counter drugs that used to work for well-meaning people with issues like allergies, colds, and the like.

I don't argue with your point about prisons. On the other end, people like the dude who took down Giffords and other sociopaths need to be vaporized to make more room.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You rang? I have an Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator and am not afraid to use it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

It's funny in a way, because people are already (rather easily) finding their way to get "legalized" marijuana, aka medicinal marijuana. All the sudden by 20-something aged friends all have bad backs or unstable knees and need a medicinal card, and you know what? Doctors don't give a shit and just write it off because they get their own percentage from it.

Demand for drugs will never, never ever die down. Alcohol has been a part of society for how long now? Both are drugs and both are looked at differently (and quite wrongly, I might add). The government is even more laughable in this regard because these huge pharmaceutical companies are getting people addicted to painkillers and the like, but it's "medicine" so it's legal -- and it makes a profit for all involved (except the user, of course).

Everything is backwards in this country. I should go into politics at this rate. Too bad I can't lie as well as the rest of 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted