1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: "Drug War" has cost taxpayers $1 trillion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506644.html

Really solid read. This is an issue I've followed closely for years, just because of how absurd it really is and how most Americans are either clueless, don't care, or a mixture of both. When you consider the gladiator-like killings in Mexico going on right now, as well as the rise of medicinal marijuana in our own country, I really think the entire system needs to be analyzed more closely.

But, of course, members of Congress have better things to do (like send their genital pictures on social networking sites).

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Pretty piss-poor ROI, I'd say.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not for the outsourced prison industry.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The problem is that the strategy for the war on drugs doesn't eliminate what is driving the consumption of drugs - the demand, and the deeper societal problems causing that demand.

Toughening drug laws and throwing more people in prison alone doesn't solve those problems. Someone with an addiction to crack cocaine and/or in need of money and having no skills is still going to be tempted to get into that stuff because the rewards might outweigh the risks.

Solve the problems that drive people to drug use, you eliminate the demand for it. Eliminate the demand, and the drugs will disappear, because it will no longer be worth the risk for the drug traffickers to do business here.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, basically, create Utopia. Got it.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Took the words right out of mouth. You will never eliminate the demand. Rich and poor a like buy it. Thinking you can eliminate the demand is living in La-La Land.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah, this world is not an Aldous Huxley novel. And, I do think the type of drugs being demanded matters just as much. Marijuana should be decriminalized first off, then go down the list and evaluate each one by issue of safety and addiction.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was at an "accepted students" reception with one of my sons at a southern university this spring when the speaker started rattling on about their "zero tolerance" drug policy, and how any kid caught with marijuana would lose his scholarship aid, and blah blah blah.
    I guess I was supposed to be reassured that I wouldn't be sending my dear boy to Sodom or Gomorrah. Instead, I was, like, "seriously? In 2011? Do we get to vote on this?"

I am not any sort of druggie. I never liked marijuana when I was young enough to go to parties where it was passed around. But dayum. I would rather these people used their time and energy more constructively.

And my kid,who isn't big into weed either, eventually decided not to attend that school.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

The Drug War is an oxymoron. We're fighting the supply but as the Mexican president says, tell your people to stop buying it.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, hell, why didn't anyone else think of that?

You just damn near defined the phrase "easier said than done." Demand for drugs is never going away.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

But it's hypocritical policy to condemn a country for its cash crop when you're rolling out the most cash. It's like "Please, save me from myself."

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You mean like the awareness that we're all going to die?

OK. But you're going to cut into the religion business, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted