1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing Style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mike311gd, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have a certain style in my writing, and it works for me. Usually, I'll try to end with a strong quote in a gamer or feature, and I'll end a column with a strong statement. This, however, bugs me.

From the AP Indians-A's gamer: "I figured sooner or later I'd hit a home run," he said.

I have an extreme distaste for ending an article with "Sabathia said." or something of that nature. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Does anyone else feel the same?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I try to avoid it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if I finish an article that way.

3. when you're on deadline, all those little rules and pet peeves seem to become meaningless

4. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

I hate the 'he said' ending as well. If I have a short ending quote I always make it. Said Jones, "Amazing quote."

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't have any hard and fast rules for or against this. Sometimes a "he said" ending works fine. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't but you're on deadline and there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

6. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

readers remember more that Travis Hafner said that than how the story ended.

7. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

"I figured sooner or later," he said, "I'd hit a home run."

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Amen.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm not a fan of the split quote. I think it's overdone.

That being said, I'm not a fan of finishing a story on a quote, either. Unless it's incredibly strong or tender, I'd put my money on a good writer coming up with something that hits harder.

I understand deadline pressure and all, and I understand that rules are made to be broken... It's just my preference. I'd rather read writing than talking.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Split quote is way overdone. I'll pretty much only use it for emphasis on certain parts of the quote and I do so very rarely. I could probably count on one hand how many times I've done it in the last five years.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with both of you on that point. But it irks me a bit to end it "Hafner said." And I am an OCD kind of guy.

And there have been times where I know a mistake is in my final copy and it keeps me up a bit. Never this issue, but there have been others.

12. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

To me how you end it doesn't matter. You have to start well to get them in the door.

There's no law that says they have to read you ... or finish the story. Write well and don't worry about the ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted