1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing 'free' for our newspaper... what the hell?!?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by exmediahack, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can get a life insurance policy on anyone you want. Don't need their permission.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It was CSI Miami ... there are always holes in the story line. At least in this episode they didn't just happen to find an incriminating hair stuck to a drainage pipe in the everglades.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think this is true. Isn't the CSI: Miami plot based on a real-life company - Walmart or AIG or Lehman Brothers, if I recall correctly - doing the same thing with their workers?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If this is true, what would prevent anyone from taking out an insurance policy on some terminally-ill stranger and cashing in?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Why would the insurance company issue it? I imagine they do it in the case of a large company because they figure they won't have to pay out that many claims, or at least, not enough that the monthly or yearly fee the company is paying would be less than the total paid out. And, uh, sorry to threadjack.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, makes some sense for the companies. Seems a little unseemly, though.

And don't worry about the threadjacks. Happens to us all. I once threadjacked a Sarah Palin thread with a reference to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Draft saved Draft deleted