1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing about interceptions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 14, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Yeah, he threw them, but do you have to use his name? Just say the quarterback threw three interceptions (sorry, I couldn't resist).

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh I understand why.

From a purely grammatical and writing standpoint, you should always use a more active voice.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The only person I'm aware of who "had three passes intercepted" was Art Schlichter. He hit the jackpot that day. Otherwise, the QB did not ask to have the passes intercepted.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Schlister hitting any jackpot may be the bigger story here ...

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

just don't use "picks."

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Except in the context of "pick-six."

7. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Honest question: any specific reason? I'm a big fan of "picks" and my editor doesn't mind it in the roundup capsules, but that's probably only because "picks" is fewer characters than "interceptions". I know defenders "pick" the quarterback and the QB doesn't necessarily throw "picks" but hasn't time made it somewhat interchangeable?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Only three? That's a great day for him!

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well done, sir.

10. Moderator1

Me being an old man. Falls into category of jargon - I never minded it in a quote. "Except for that pick he threw late in the game, he played well," kind of thing. Just never cared for it in basic copy. A "pick" is slang.

Years ago, some may remember, the term "oski" was popular referring to an interception - thankfully it died soon and never really became as accepted as "pick" has become.

I'm not adamant about this. I just don't like it.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

You also sell yourself short from a reporting standpoint if you automatically blame the quarterback for the interceptions. If the defense happened to make good plays on three pretty well thrown passes, I'd make the defense the subject of that sentence.

"Oski" is a new one by me, Moddy, any idea what the origin of that baby was?

Seems to me "pick" was something that started on TV, and subsequently became a jargon mainstay, a noun-derivative of "picked off". I can't say I've never used it, but when I did it was in the spirit of chipping away at syllables, which is some really crappy rationalization. "Interception" always sounded like something George Carlin would have a field day with.

12. Moderator1

Oski may well be a very local/regional thing. This was almost 30 years ago, before the Net and all that. I couldn't even tell you how it started, I just know for a couple of years some teams I covered used it ALL the time and it drove me nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted