1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a sports story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ksu_jeff, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

These days, I squeeze off a good fart and 1,500 words come out of my ass. Writing long is a fucking sickness, I've got to tell you.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

If the topic interests you, and you have a lot to say, the words just come flying out of your fingers like one of Jones's Heineken farts.

I just wrote a piece (and for a daily) that probably clocked in at 3,000 words to start. Seemed like nothing. Took me, like, a couple hours. Seriously.
    Had to get cut. And by basically eliminating one interesting but peripheral track, got it to 2000 in a snap. Somewhere around 70 inches of copy.
    But it just reads like butter.
    I don't remember writing anything that long so far, except a book. Nothing for the newspaper.
    And it was a piece of cake.

Now a six-inch story on something I don't give a shit about. That's a different story. ::)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just wrote a 10K-word historical feature that I trimmed down to 6K for a magazine. Yay for unlimited Internet space -- the original's gonna see the light of day (i.e. hit the Web) at some point.

But it was harder to cut it down to 6K than it was to write the 10K. Honestly.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Diarrhea is always easy, buckbob. It's always the cutting that is tough.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A few days ago I popped out a 1200 word feature in a couple of hours.
    Week before I did a piece that clocked in at 3000.

There was a time I struggled to write 12 inches.

6. slipshod

slipshod Member

I'm usually too lazy to write it short.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

This is perhaps the best sentence ever written on this board. Fantastic.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Research, research, research. Try to unearth information that hasn't been written about over and over. And the more reserach you do, the more obvious the hook will become.

9. BornFreee

BornFreee New Member

Turning in a great story is 80 percent great reporting, 20 percent great writing.

10. most stories don't deserve 1,500 words, but the writer drags them out that long so he can pat himself on the back and say, "i just filed 20 inches."

a lot of people say 1,500-word stories are child's play and commonplace because they use paragraph-long quotes and their writing is looser than a bangkok hooker.

if you write it tight, 800 should suffice.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Regarding writing programs, I actually prefer to write in columns of text similar to the way that it appears on the page. I split a normal 8.5 by 11 Quark doc into three or four columns and pound away.

I find this much easier than reading all the way across the page or screen.

It's just a preference for me. I suggested this to two turtle-like reporters once, and it seemed to speed them up. But I found them two weeks later reverting back to using Word. Of course, you can split Word into columns, too, I believe. So it's all a matter of choice.

As for length, I've written some space-fillers for trade mags in the past that ran past 3,000 words. If you're required to fill a lot of space, do the best job you can. As a rule, though, you shouldn't be shooting at such lengthy pieces unless the story warrants such treatment.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Bag, 1,500 words is more along the lines of 45 inches than 20. Actually, 800 words is a little more than 20 inches.

Draft saved Draft deleted