1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a letter of recommendation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guybehindtheguy, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Anybody ever write a letter of rec for someone? I've got a stringer who is applying for some internships this summer and asked me to write one.

I agreed to do it and would be happy to help the kid out. But I've never written one of these things before. Any idea on length? Style?

Don't want to screw the kid's chances by screwing up the letter. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Include how long he/she's worked for you and been a reliable stringer. Meets deadline and willing to take on any assignment (if those aren't the facts, obviously don't include!)

Indicate that you think this person would be a valuable addition as an intern on the staff to which he/she is applying for those reasons.

Do not include any negatives.
    Include your full contact information for follow-up.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have written some or actually made phone calls. It should be a couple of short paragraphs, and make it like a formal business like format and make sure to include a way that they can contact you if they have further questions. Also, need to stress dependability, reliability, able to work under pressure while meeting a deadline, things that a newsroom is looking for.

Finally, talk a bit about personality and why they would be a valuable asset to a newsroom.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about paisley?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wrote one for the guy I hired who moved on.

My normal way of doing things is to do what's listed above: Write about abilities as a reporter, reliability, etc. But I also made sure to add something in there about the guy's personality. I wrote a paragraph in which I mentioned his willingly taking over for me during his last week on the job. I figured that would say more about him than boiler plate platitudes.

6. Cansportschick

Here we go again... :-X

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

OK. I have to explain. It's a bit of an inside joke. But, I'll let you play along.
    I/we have one of our rare openings over the last five years. And we get to fill it on the outside. So, understandably, we're pretty excited. After a few quick calls -- before the higher-ups pull the hire -- we line up a few interviews.
    It's a beat job. Pretty big one, too. Talk to him a few times before he gets in making sure flight and stay were in order, etc.
    He arrives. I go down to get him.
    No jacket. No big deal. But, he's wearing brown pinstriped slacks with this brown and black high-collar paisley dress shirt. Like he just had sex with a 70s thrift store mannequin and got their outfits mixed. Hideous. Abominable. I know we're not the best-dressed profession. But, good Lord.
    The hire was frozen. So, it was all for not.
    But, whenever anyone asks me for advice...

8. Cansportschick

Broadcast people supposedly have stylists and make-up people and that is supposed to make them one of the best dressed professions :p Some of the things broadcasters wear make me cringe...

Thanks for sharing fishwrapper. Love the quote, "like he just had sex with a 70's thrift store mannequin and got their outfits mixed".

So come on fishwrapper, do you own one? Fess up!

Draft saved Draft deleted