1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a girl's name in the newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by #52 Psycho T, Dec 3, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I go by a shortened version of my legal first name. As far as I'm concerned, that's my name and that's what I want people to call me.

If your newspaper has a formal style that requires the full legal first name and you explain that to me, I won't like it, but I'll accept it. If you call me by some nickname that I don't regularly go by, I'll complain.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, I had your byline as Booger Town all along.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And you wasted post No. 14,000 on that? The shame! ;)

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I have a coach on my beat that nicknames damn-near all of his soccer players ... boys and girls.

Had a girl a few years back he called Scooby ... If I remember correctly, it was because she always snacked. When discussing all-area with other coaches, they would say ... "That girl for Podunk ... they call her Scooby."
    He had a boys player about a decade ago he called Yogi because the kid's last name was pronounced bear. Another girl he called Weeble (not sure why).
    I never used them in print, and the only reason I would is in a feature about the player. Even then, it would only get one mention.

Upon typing that out though, I'm beginning to think that coach's nicknaming practices might be a feech. Have to think about that one.

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

Maybe she wobbled but never fell down.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thank you, Mother Goose.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Her mama call her Monster, I'mma call her Monster.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FYI, it's also possible that the coach thought up a cute name for the kid that everyone picked up on that the player absolutely hates.

I know my son feels that way.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Ace, your kid had George Bush as a coach?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. He nicknamed him Offsides Guy.

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Area college coach once had a, let's say hefty, player he nicknamed Tons Of Fun. He once asked him how much he was weighing these days. Tons Of Fun's response: "A biscuit or two shy of 350."

Same coach once had an assistant nicknamed Captain Insano (but not to his face) because he could be seen tearing into blocking sleds before practice when no one was on the field.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Wasn't that William Perry's first nickname, Biscuit, given to him by Dan Hampton for that very same reason: being a biscuit shy of 300.

Draft saved Draft deleted