1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a girl's name in the newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by #52 Psycho T, Dec 3, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

If she gave herself the nickname, it doesn't count.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

We're losing readers because we care about getting something right? Makes perfect sense.

3. Flowery Hatred

Flowery Hatred New Member

... asks the guy whose handle is "Psycho T"

Yes, always use nicknames is stories. ALWAYS!!!!!

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Real name. No debating this. Now, if her name is Bethany and she prefers Beth, use the former. EDIT: Oops. Meant the latter.

I cover some Patricks and some Matthews etc. and I always ask the first time I meet them "do you prefer Pat or Patrick?" and they usually say "doesn't matter." I respond with "hey man, it's your name. You tell me." Even though I'm secretly thinking "use the shorter of the two so I can save space."

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Never Angola?

"Earvin Johnson scored 42 points to lead the Lakers to a victory in Game 6 of the NBA Finals Tuesday night."

And, trivia, it was a high school sportswriter who gave him the name Magic back in the 70s. I think it was a guy at the Lansing paper, who actually told Magic "The Big E is taken because of Elvin Hayes, and Dr. J is out because of Julius Erving, how about Magic?"

Obviously in this case though if she doesn't want to go by Monster, she shouldn't.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK, I thought of that as I was typing it, well, not Magic, but ARod.

At the high school level I'd shy away from nicknames. In professional sports, there are situations where nicknames are OK.

Though, Magic is so common with him, that it is almost not a nickname.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Real name. Next.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wink Adams. Pacman Jones. Sasha Kaun. Catfish Hunter.

We use nicknames on first reference all the time.

9. I'm more concerned about the thread starter's use of "kind've"

10. #52 Psycho T

#52 Psycho T Member

Damn. I do that all the time! Grr

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not me. It's George H. Ruth, thank you very much....."Babe" on second and subsequent references. :D

12. Flowery Hatred

Flowery Hatred New Member

You should worry about grammar and such before you move on to nicknames ... plus, I'm clearly better than you because I have more posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted