1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by andyouare?, Oct 18, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Five years ago I would have been all over this. But it sounds like an entry-level type of job. I believe this same job was posted not too long ago, maybe earlier this year.

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=64000233&JobTitle=Writer&fn=8&fn=12&fn=5623&fn=560&rad=50&rad_units=miles&zip=33710&brd=1&cy=US&vw=b&AVSDM=2007-10-16+12%3a45%3a00&pg=1&seq=11

Duties and Responsibilities:

Prepare written content for the team’s official web site and game program; develop creative ideas, research information, verify facts and compose material; adhere to grammatical, legal and corporate style guidelines
    Work closely with public relations department to compile information, conduct interviews and ensure data integrity
    Work closely with web site department and graphic designers to ensure copy and design are well integrated
    Perform other duties as assigned

Qualifications:
    A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field
    2 to 4 years experience writing sports-related material for publication; experience providing content for a web site desired (experience may be gained while in college)
    Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
    Proficient understanding of football and the NFL
    A strong work ethic and the ability to thrive in a time-sensitive environment
    The ability to work long and flexible hours, including evenings and weekends

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

anyone try to apply here?

Monster redirects to the team website. There is a lot going on. Lots of graphics, pirates, treasure troves.... no job application though.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I can understand the confusion. But, as the ad states, you need to click on "Customer Service," which is the seventh item along the top menu bar (under the image of Tanard Jackson). At the next screen, click "employment on the left-hand menu. At the next screen, scroll down to the bottom and click the contact link. You can figure it out from there.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

big sleeper:

thanks for the help

I was extremely disoriented by the flash intro. And were those file photos of Keyshawn Johnson and Kevin Jones? I don' tthink Detroit has played in their black uniforms this season. Also, what's with the clips of all the TB players getting injured. GREAT INTRO TO THE SITE GUYS!

Lets show all of our offensive lineman tearing their ACL'S then let's show Jeff Garcia getting sacked. Or you can scroll down and check out the scary shadowed pirates and cannons and what not.

cool site though.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

The Bucs?!?!?!?! Somebody marry me and get me a visa, for Christ's sake!

(I'm a looser fangirl.)

6. Hehe. She said looser.

7. bkrichmond

bkrichmond New Member

Following directions is not part of the final decision.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Tee hee ... oops!

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Jobs like these don't pay shit and are often just a turnstile. Burn one youngster out in a year or two, another one jumps in.

You're also basically writing expanded press releases for the team -- there's no real reporting involved since the players know you work for the team and will talk at length because they know you won't ask them anything tough.

I suppose it's good for fangirl loosers like Flash, but beyond that, I don't think it's a great gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted