1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer makes e-mail remark about KYHS on state's listserve; FB coaches go nuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Award-winning HS writer from Paducah made a one-line remark on the Kentucky High School Football Coaches' listserve about Fulton County - a school with little to no football tradition and really is a job many coaches wouldn't touch - but the remark gets out to many of the state's prep FB coaches, ADs, etc. Instead of replying to one person, writer sent out a mass reply (which happens when you don't change the address; I've done this before).

To defend the writer, Fulton County HS football is about the same level as NJIT men's basketball. If college hoops coaches think NJIT is a desirable job, they're nuts.

Fulton County's big claim to fame last year was a huge brawl with nearby Calloway County that was picked up by the AP. Not for its successful football program.

Owensboro HS coach questions writer's "level of bias" and vows to start a new list that only FB coaches can join.

Subscribing to said listserve, I've learned of coaching openings, scheduling contracts and other newsworthy stories from it. So I'll be sad to see it go in its current format.

One of the state's major HS football message boards is talking about it here:
    http://kentuckypreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=937&tid=132646566&mid=132646566&sid=936&style=2

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I read that, and find it really funny. I also read the email the writer got from the principal of the school, or maybe it was the AD.

He pointed out a bunch of great things about the FUlton County sports, but still no proof the football job was crappy.

The thing is,he was trying to respond to another writer, but you can't on the listserve, a message goes to to everyone regardless. Some coaches have had embarassing experiences on that as well, including my old high school coach.

But Fulton still seems like a crappy job, so the writer wasn't wrong at least.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Full disclosure: Fosko is a friend of mine.

But yeah, Bob's right. Truth is his best defense. :)

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There are people still using a listserv? In 2010? Do they still turn a crank on the front of their cars?

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fosko's a friend of mine.

Obviously, you gotta watch out what you say on e-mail and such, but look, a crappy job's a crappy job.

I can think of 15 such football jobs in our coverage area. There's a reason guys come in, take them and leave 2 years later.

6. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Joey is one of the good guys.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

HS sports listservs in Ky are quite popular. I never have to worry about getting cross country or track results because they're most always posted an hour or two after the meet is over on the KTCCCA listserv.

Football wise, learned the annual east-west graduating seniors summer all-star game for this year's class was cancelled and moved to December starting next season. Didn't have a local kid in the game, but interesting enough. The game's promoters didn't send out e-mails to specific outlets or post it on the game's site, but announced it through the listserv.

Other listservs aren't near as popular, but the football and track/XC one have quite a bit of traffic.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Not in Kansas ... we just use listserves because they do a better job of getting info around than the AP Kansas City office.

Draft saved Draft deleted