1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer Cat Fight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The bearded outdoorsman?

You disqualified yourself and proved that you really don't even know the guy you called shallow on an anonymous message board.

Congrats.

2. The Big Ragu

Trust me when I say that is not the case at all, at least not for both.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Who brought the asshole?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, if you boil it right down to it I think their reasoning was pretty much the same. But, yes, Whitlock did seem to be spoiling for flamewars much more than Jones. The problem was (and we still see this with regulars and especially when Politics was open for business) a flamewar on one thread caused people to start stalking each other and flaming on other threads. It got to where neither one could post on the most innocent of subjects without their stalkers pulling out the knives and going to work.

At least, that's the way I remember it. But I freely admit to sleeping and/or drinking since then, so my memory might be off.

5. The Big Ragu

Who brought the guy trying to pour gasoline on the fire with a ham-handed insult, so a moderator might have to lock what has been a pretty good thread. (fixed)

Knock it off. Everyone.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why speculate. Just go back and read The Jones recent posts. He explains why he left.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I'll be your good friend, Ragu.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

I won't pretend to know how closely Scott Raab reads Jones' blog but Raab tweeted a few months ago: "Chris Jones's new blog on writing. He's a rough beast. Fucking brilliant. Also my nephew. http://sonofboldventure.blogspot.com/"

Raab's next tweet: "Sorry: Chris Jones is not actually my nephew. But I love him just the same."

I won't pretend to know Scott Raab either, but he's a piece of work and can be super friendly.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A nice story on David Grann, one of the nominees.

http://www.slate.com/id/2290801/

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just discovered Grann recently from reading Jones' blog. The wife and I can't wait to read "The Devil and Sherlock Holmes."

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to read the Sherlock book for awhile. The story I remember most vividly was his one on Cameron Todd Willingham, the Texas inmate who was almost certainly innocent but still executed. Several newspapers did outstanding work on the Willingham story before Grann, but his story has stayed with me for nearly two years.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just read the Grann piece on Cameron Todd Willingham. Simply stunning. I would give an arm to tell a story that clearly, that well, just once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.