1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer at Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GeorgeMoore, Jan 18, 2007.

1. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

I have an opening as a general assignment reporter. This person will be the No. 2 preps person, help cover our local colleges (D-II and juco), staff some Pelicans (baseball) and Ice Pilots games and write lots of features/enterprise stuff. As everyone knows, Gannett has switched our newsrooms to "infocenters" with an emphasis on local content. For us, that means preps, preps preps with a mix of recreation and youth sports. But we'll also do stuff on our professional and college athletes.

FYI: We've filled one copy editor spot, are about to fill another and have a couple of strong candidates for ASE. The writer position will fill out our staff.

Send cover letter, resume and clips to gmoore@pnj.com

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

George,

Pensacola is a great place and the job sounds good.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my latest resume at the Plain-Dealer, can you hold the job for a couple months or so till I hear back from Cleveland?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Job doesn't sound bad, but you can't trust the strippers in that town. [/mikeprice]

4. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

I honestly don't expect to fill this job for a while. I want to get the desk situation settled and in place before I hire a writer. My desk guys are versitile and will be writing as well, so I'm going to make sure I find the right person for this spot.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just joking about Cleveland. The restraining order is still in effect anyway.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Some of you other Gannetters, how's that whole "infocenters" thing going for ya? A couple of people I know stuck in that situation hate it and the print edition has certaily suffered because of it.
    It may have something to do with giving people more work, less time, and no raise.

7. GravyTrain

GravyTrain Guest

Gannett loves to make the focus preps. That's because it's cheaper.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

any idea on pay?

9. Not sure what the pay is, but George is good people. Plus, Pensacola is a great city to raise a family (beach, modest C.O.L., etc.)

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

So if I want to find movie times, find the nearest restroom or find out what the fastest land animal is, I can call you? Cool!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Cost of living is not as bad as you think, although the housing market is still inflated. But then, I rent. P'cola, in the heart of the Redneck Riviera, is fairly cheap.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ya know, Charlie Brown, if Lucy let you kick that football you wouldn't know how to handle it... ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted