1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

writer and columnist, Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by drakescoffeecake, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

Anyone know if they have any other writer postions open besides the columnist spot?

2. bmf

bmf Guest

The west coast of Florida is a really nice spot.

3. bmf

bmf Guest

... but there are a lot of old people to deal with ... bad drivers ... alligators ...

4. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

I'm wondering... Does the time delay indicate that there are probs at the newspaper? If I recall, they intended to move fairly quickly here. That was several months ago.
    Comments?

5. rascalface

rascalface Member

There were actually four open positions at one time, due to a crop of writers all bolting within a few months of each other for more higher-profile jobs.

Two people have been hired to fill vacant prep writer roles. There have been a few interviews for the columnist job, but my ace sources down there didn't know much else about it. And one regular writing position remains vacant.

6. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

I take it the two remaining positions are still on hold?

7. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

Anyone know when they plan to hire the one vacant writer spot? I plan to call and find out but thought I'd ask here first. I sent my stuff in a month ago.

8. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Let us know what you find out....

9. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

They have not returned many calls. I'm not the only one that has not received a follow up response so I'm guessing that it already went to someone.

10. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I'm fairly positive that a writer from Pensacola got the writer gig. I don't know about the columnist.

11. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Was the Pensacola writer the same one that they are talking about on the Pensacola thread?

12. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

It's not the SE who got booted out of Pensacola. It was a writer who wasn't even there a year and he left. P-cola isn't the greatest of papers to work for so he got the hell out. Things are pretty bad at the edge of the panhandle.

Draft saved Draft deleted