1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Write the gamer, don't try your stand-up material...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by markvid, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Speaking as a writer, I think we can all admit that there are times when our zeal for the clever phrase makes us look like boobs.

Which is what a copy desk is for.

Blame them.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Brilliant.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

That's true, if the desk has been given the tools and authority to make more than grammar changes. That's why it's nice being a line editor.

4. whatgives

whatgives New Member

It's a decent line. Lighten up.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Last year I covered a high school playoff game that ended 43-42 in overtime. The first snap of the game went for a touchdown and it was pretty much a horse race the rest of the way.

My lead, which was written by halftime: Quick, read this story before somebody scores again.

The SE from a neighboring paper was next to me in the pressbox and let it be known he would never allow that in his section.

The story got second place in the state APME contest. I did not submit it for entry.

Go figure.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A few years ago a high school playoff baseball game was in the top of the 7th inning, local team one strike away from winning. Lightning struck so the ump postponed the game. Local team was pissed off. My lede was: "Excuse them while they curse the sky."

It's OK to have fun sometimes. Disclaimer: listening to Hendrix on the way back to the office inspired the lede.

7. Babs

Babs Member

I agree, try something new. Otherwise gamers all sound alike. They should be interesting enough so that someone who was at the game has a reason to read it.

The gimper bit wasn't funny, but maybe the next one will be. Let's not lose our creativity.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is this line groan-inspring? Definitely.
    Is it worth of ridicule? Uh, no. Give the dude credit for trying and leaving the vanilla lead to the AP.

9. That's Gold!
    I love it and I one day hope to steal it.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The lede is befitting of a game between Penn State and Temple. I'm cool with it.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm all for having fun, being creative, but making fun of an 80-year-old with a serious leg injury is just inappropriate.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was a 41-0 game. Absolutely ugly. Cut the dude some slack, especially if it was Chico.

Draft saved Draft deleted