1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jun 3, 2009.

1. If any jerkoff could walk up the Wrigley box office and get GOOD tickets like they could in the 70s-early 90s, no woman would give a flying fuck about going to a Cubs game. But since Cubs tickets are now exclusive, women are flocking in droves to go to Wrigley. They can go fuck themselves.

Any asshole can buy a Milton Bradley shirt, a relaxed, fitted Cubs hat, and go party it up at Wrigley. It takes a true FUCKING FAN to go hang out at new Comiskey and get down with the Sox.

Still haven't won shit. RACK Tribune and Sam Zell for selling that fanbase up the river.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My point -- which you're overlooking, at the moment -- is that Reinsdorf was
    essentially offered something very close to the Camden Yards model, and rejected it
    out of hand as "too expensive". Laughable, in retrospect.

Meanwhile, always interested in details about the ebb and flo of urban blight in
    major individual urban areas -- though believe the topic might be better served
    in a separate thread . . . .

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved Ozzie as a player, and love him, now . . . but only reason he got the job in the first place is that he was eager and willing to work for absurdly short money in his
    first contract -- a deal which naturally had JR's stingy fingerprints all over it . . .
    love the Sox to death, but JR's presence frequently makes it difficult.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The city was great, the atmosphere around the game was great, hell, the game was great. But I was really underwhelmed by the stadium.

I know it's heresy to say anything bad about the place, they could really do some simple things to update the place that wouldn't take away at all from the old-time atmosphere. Some signage would help. Keep the manual scoreboard, but put some signs that can give you pitch counts and on deck batters and lineups and whatnot.

Fenway Park is a great example of how to have it both ways, with excellent signage, yet maintaining a classic feel (though it really could use all new seats).

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My only time at Wrigley was Aug. of 98 when things were really heating up with Sosa and McGwire. Cubs were playing Colorado. Had seats in the second deck up the third base line. Almost Missed Sosa's first inning home run because I was still soaking in the stadium. It was Keery Wood's rookie season and he struck out nine while the CUbs won I think 9-1. An unbelievable place to sit and watch a game. Amazingly beautiful. One of my most vivid memories. Now that I am 26 I so want to go back and see how much of it has changed from what I remember and of course so I can take part in everything that goes on with the park.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199807310.shtml

Last time I was at Wrigley, didn't realize it had been that long:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199909180.shtml

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No, you can go fuck yourself. I'm a Cubs fan, have been for years, I go to a lot of games and I happen to be female.

Are there stupid chickies who don't know shit about the game who show up in high heels and four coats of Diorshow mascara? Yeah. They annoy me. But most guys don't want to get rid of them because they're "hot."

Are there women who appreciate the game and show up wearing jerseys and never leave before the game ends? Yeah. They're true fans, but most guys at a ballgame won't notice them.

Also, I've come across a lot of guys at ballparks across the country who don't know shit about baseball and are there to drink beer with their buddies and pretend like they know a lot about baseball. It's laughable. But I don't see anyone making fun of them.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Cadet--Don't waste your time. The issue isn't male/female. The simple truth is that Sox fans are understandably obsessed with the attention paid to Cubs fans and their magnificent little ballpark, and Cubs fans have no idea that there is baseball being played south of Belmont.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My mom is from Chicago, she took me back there when I was 15 and I loved the city. I went back a few years ago when I had time off between semesters at school and ranked it very high on my list of cities I would like to live in.

It is great to see Chicago, or any major city, with someone who is from there, they know all the cool little places to eat and to hang out at.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too bad the Fenway neighborhood reeks; any comparison to Wrigley's
    neighborhood is laughable. Most self-respecting derilects wouldn't be caught dead in the dive bars hard by the park.

Draft saved Draft deleted