1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrigley Field for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I am a huge fan of the place, and not just because Mrs. Birdscribe's mother, grandmother, great-grandparents and ancestors going back to before the Chicago Fire are natives.

Four years ago, I took Little Bird to the golf event I did in northern Michigan. After I finished there, we road-tripped to Chicago for 3 days. Had lunch at the Cubby Bear, then took in a game at Wrigley from behind third base (Nationals 4, Cubs 3/Jeromy Burnitz gets picked off THIRD to kill a Cubs rally), went to dinner at Ditka's (where my son had the biggest chicken fingers he's ever seen and I had a prime rib the size of a catcher's mitt) and to Navy Pier that night.

The next day, we hit the Field Museum and the Taste of Chicago, which was going on that weekend in Grant Park.

Just an awesome, awesome time and some great memories.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It's a great city. The museum campus is fantastic, and I obviously love the Cubs. Only large American city I've visited that I would say rivals it is Seattle, but that's like comparing apples and oranges.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I've been to most American League parks, haven't hit Wrigley and a bunch of National League parks yet. I will soon - I want to hit Wrigley, PNC Park, and Coors Field in the next two years.

So far, Kauffman, Fenway, and AT&T Park are my favorites. Really liked Camden and I think is Comerica is underrated too. I've been to many minor league stadiums I liked better than Tropicana though, which is a shame because Tampa's an awesome city.

Anyone recommend Petco Park? I'm headed to San Diego for a weekend in August and the Cardinals will be in town.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

bostonbred, absolutely do petco. It's a spectacular park.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah - living is sitting on Cicero trying to leave Midway at rush hour.

I had friends tell me that Rush street does not have the same feel when you go back as a married man with wife and 3 kids in tow.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Second (or third or fourth) all the love for Chicago/Wrigley as a tourist spot.

I have never been in a stadium that had so many beer vendors.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot the mens room.

What is that, 200 feet of troughs? Saw a man hoisting his boy, with pants at his ankles, high enough to get a clear shot in a room of 100 other men squeezing lemons.

Awesome.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not sure about this one.

They're everywhere. Except maybe Wisconsin.

For me, it's an Angels/Dodgers game (either or).

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree with most everything said here about Chicago and Wrigley. Great city and a great ballpark. It's my favorite of the older ballparks I've been to. As for the city, for me, it's second behind NYC with San Fran, Seattle and San Diego on the second tier behind those two.

10. 93Devil

It was staggering. And I went to Arizona State.

11. 93Devil

That's a haul from Virginia, but I am sure they are great. We have family in NYC, so that is off the list.

Someday we will do a big city vacation where we take in arts and buildings and parks and places to eat. For a family, I thought Chicago was perfect.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My favorite old ball park is Yankee Stadium . Well worth a visit if you have not done so. On second thought....

Draft saved Draft deleted