1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson: outta the park, through the uprights, slam dunk, et al

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 1, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Readers zip through a lot of things. I'm not sure that's the best standard for judging what we do.

A great editor once told me when you get into the first person arena, and the story isn't your own, you run the risk of coming off as 'high falutin',' and self-important. Not saying that's the case here, but something to think about.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That reminds me of a story about Wright from when he was at the Times-Picayune told to me by a LSU PR guy.

Saban is rumored to be taking the Carolina Panther job and is away at a winter home, beach house or whatever that is located six hours from Baton Rouge.

Wright drives to Saban's vacation home to get his reaction to the rumor.

Saban calls the PR guy.

"Wright Thompson just showed up at my door and asked me what my opinion was of the rumor that I was leaving to coach the Panthers? What's my opinion? My opinion is that Wright Thompson is a fucking lunatic."

Classic.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Turn off to me is when writer uses --

"A reporter asked _ _ _ _ _" when it's clear that the reporter asking is the writer.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So WT told Raab to "go fuck himself?" Not sure why he felt the need to include that ...

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Consider this: The opposite might now be true.

'1st person' isn't just a narrative device to a generation of internet users - it's the standard unit of currency.

To many of them, an omniscient '3rd person' voice now sounds pretentious and authoritarian. Untrustworthy.

This wasn't a magazine piece, it was written for the dotcom - and a dotcom 'readership.' And in 24 hours it's been Facebooked 15000 times.

Our dearly held longform workshop absolutes from 30 years ago may no longer apply in all cases.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So take that story Mizzou posted. Do you want to read "'There is no truth to that rumor,' said Saban from his vacation home," or would it be more interesting to read how Wright got in the car and drove the 6 hours, and what happened when he got there? Two different stories, right? One about Saban, and one about a writer chasing a story?

7. Mizzougrad96

If memory serves, and this is almost a decade ago, the story started with something about Saban answering his door at his vacation home.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saban's vacation home is at Lake Burton up in the northeast corner of Georgia, but that's more like 10 hours from Baton Rouge.

It's a quaint little cabin, by the way:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm no longer sure that they are, or have to be.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Especially true when your readers can facebook and twitter @ you and get responses...it's somewhat archaic to insist the writers must remain invisible. Those readers are getting non-stop first person info and feedback.

When it comes to longform, though, it can come off as SO annoying and intrusive. Do I really care what this writer thinks, or do I just want the story? Am I reading this because I love this journalist, or because I'm interested in the topic?

I wonder if all the familiarity of twitter et al gives some writers a false sense of importance? If 50,000 people follow you, does that mean they want you in every story you write?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No doubt Mr King feels that conflict day in and day out.

12. Mizzougrad96

I just remember the PR guy telling the story and the other PR guy who was listening had a "Oh, what an asshole." look on his face while all the writers were in awe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted