1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson on Jack Nicklaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 29, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

I adored the ode to Southern football. Then again, when you grow up around that, I guess it makes sense to like that story.

I think Wright Thompson wrote the story about the "Last Days of Tony Harris," the basketball player who went missing in the Brazilian jungle and was found dead. That was really good, too.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I think you need to get a life.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Woods can't putt for shit compared with an in-the-prime Nicklaus.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3. . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just to offer a tart anecdote that makes some contemporary profiles pale in comparison, I read a piece on Randy White of the Cowboys in Sport or Inside Sports or SI some years back, forget the writer. The writer's riding shotgun and White pulls alongside someone fixing his car. "Need a lift?" White asks. The fixer nods. "Then stick a jack up your ass!" White yells and pulls away.

Today, the NFL would suspend the Manster and make him apologize.

6. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I know squat (what, you expected me to say Jack? ;)) about golf and it never carried much interest from me, but I did enjoy this piece. Didn't give a damn about the private jet ride. If someone is as loaded and famous as Nicklaus, he damn well better have a nice private jet!

The two things I really enjoyed about this piece was how Wright went into detailing how strong Nicklaus' families ties are and how much he invests himself into his business. He did a good job as far as making you practically see Jack figuring out how to improve each hole, or design a course without tearing down one of those 100-year-old walls.

Stories like this may have been written before, but there are always different tweaks and this does a good job on sucking in people unfamiliar with golf and/or the Golden Bear. Nice job, Wright. Been too long.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

With Tiger, it'll be a question of longevity. Chiseled as he is, he puts so much strain on his body that, in ten years, his tendons might be busting and straining all over.

People laugh at Mickelson's shape, and that's fine…he'll last longer than Tiger does.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Ode to Southern Football was too much for me.

Most of his stuff is pretty great though.

Draft saved Draft deleted