1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling redundancy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 14, 2006.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So there'll be two PPVs those months, one Smackdown or Raw and the other ECW? It'd be funny as hell if ECW were to get a better buy rate if that's the case.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pretty much.

But this isn't unheard of. WWE ran three PPVs within six weeks of each other earlier this year: Armageddon in December, New Year's Revolution and the Royal Rumble in January.

After looking at a video clip of Sabu on WWE.com, I believe his gimmick is that he lays WWE main eventers out. His triple jump DDT--the sickest move I've ever seen in person; all 2,500 in the Hammerstein Ballroom thought Rey Jr. was dead or paralyzed--and tonight, he drove Cena through the announce table with a triple jump leg drop.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The triple jump is awesome. I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere else.

5. KYSportsWriter

What do you guys make of what happened with RVD and Sabu? RVD is suspended for 30 days with no pay and loses both the ECW and WWE titles, but Sabu is fined only $1,000 and not suspended. I think both of them should be suspended or even fired, but I'm not the one running the WWE.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For those of us not in the loop, what are the suspensions for?

7. KYSportsWriter

RVD was pulled over for speeding in Ohio this past weekend. State Troopers then found 18 grams of marijuana in the car and some pills (I forget what kind, but OSP said there 8 in all).

I forgot WWE still has the story up. They were "investigating" the charges and decided to suspend RVD and only fine Sabu.
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/rvdsabucharges

8. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I watched ECW on Sci-Fi Tuesday night and I was thoroughly embarassed, horrified and disgusted.

Not only the worst wrestling show I ever saw (huge fan as a kid, huge ECW fan 5-10 years ago, barely watch it now) but also one of the worst hours I ever spent in front of a television, period.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, that was turrible. I guess they need to have someone else with the title, but Big Show? I guess the build to have Heyman go heel made sense (RVD does his own thing against Heyman's wishes, gets burned), but the fact of his turn makes NO sense at all. I hope this leads to something more than another evil owner/commissioner angle, because that's FAR from extreme.

I have high hopes (tee hee) for CM Punk and his Straight Edge character, though.

10. KYSportsWriter

I wanted Show to win the title, but not that way. And maybe it's just me, but the belt looked like a child's play thing on Show's shoulder...

About CM Punk, did anyone notice his Pepsi logo tat on his arm? :D

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The official word I read on one of the dirtsites was that Van Dam got the bigger punishment because he was the one driving the car and the one caught with the actual pot, while Sabu just had a pipe on him.

Strictly my speculation, but I think the discrepancy in punishment was that McMahon/Heyman gave Van Dam the ball to carry for ECW and he fumbled it big time. While Sabu was planned to be a big wheel in the promotion, RVD was the guy Vince expected to really carry ECW, and when he screwed up within a month, McMahon probably got extremely pissed off.

The word is neither of these guys are going to get fired over the incident, but they needed to be made examples of.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Are Sabu and RVD feuding like Hacksaw Jim Duggan and the Iron Sheik were when they got pulled over riding together back in the day?

Draft saved Draft deleted