1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling agate question, ASAP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 2, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am having a discussion with our desk guy, who wants to know since it's early in the year.
    In wrestling agate (and agate only)

Which to use "maj. dec" or "major dec"? First reference, all reference?
    Which to use "technical fall" or "tech fall" First reference, all reference?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

we abbreviate all the way in agate... d. = decision, m.d., t.f., p.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Last two papers I've been at used "maj. dec." and "tech. fall" on first reference, m.d., t.f. after that. Pins and falls were spelled out. Decisions were always "dec."

Of course, we rarely were hurting for prep agate space. If you need to cut, then spnited's way is perfectly acceptable.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

trust me, buck, we did it to squeeze space as much as possible.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Considering I'm lucky to get NHL standings in a given issue, abbreviate away.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I shall share your concern with management.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

We have stayed away from decisioned, major decisioned, tech pinned, etc., by using the following:

103: Sammy Smith (West) pinned Tommy Toyota (East), 1:03
    112: Frank Ford (East) def. Jimmy Jones (West), 16-4
    119: Timmy Thomas (West) def. Cameron Camry (East), 6-4, OT

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's not exactly accurate, kid. 6-4 in OT is not the same as 16-4.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But that would be incorrect, since tech fall and maj dec carry specific point values...

We went with the long form for the first edition (it's first couple weeks of the season) and copy desk will use tech fall and maj. dec. in agate after this.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Piling on here, but that's very, very wrong.

Can't think of an equivalent for another sport, but it's kinda like saying a basketball player made 15 of 23 shots in the game, without accounting for whether they were 2-pointers, 3-pointers or free throws. Or that a pair of football players each scored three times, except one of those players was the kicker and his were all PATs. Doesn't make any sense.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

spnited, slappy4428, buck,

I understand about the point values for forfeits, pins, decisions, major decisions, tech falls, etc. I've seen some papers do a running team score at the end of each individual match, but we don't.

However, when you see a "0:46", you know it is NOT a major decision.
    There's only one outcome for scoring: pin (6 team points).

Likewise, if you see 6-4, you know it wasn't a pinfall or tech pin or major decision.
    There's only one outcome for scoring: decision (3 team points).

To me, saying tech pin, major decision, decision, is not needed. It would be like saying someone kicked a field goal for three points, since field goals can't be worth anything other than three points. A 6-4 win can't be anything other than a decision, so why repeat it?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because not everyone knows the scoring values and it's technically wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted