1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrath of God snow coming to where we normally do not have wrath of God snow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Oh my Tebow snow coming to where we normally do not have oh my Tebow snow

I will say if this snow fell on a week that school would have been open, the kids would have been off for five days minimum because it looks like the sun will not be strong enough to melt it off for some time.

2. 93Devil

I had a student tell me once that she never had school cancelled in Buffalo because of the snow. She did have school called off for bitter cold, though.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's my fear - drop in quality.
    When my dear ol' mom was alive, she'd schedule visits from her NoVa home so she could hit a Ukrop's on her way out of town. They were so clean! The people were so nice! They took your stuff to the car and you didn't have to tip! The produce was actually fresh!

The "costs more" stuff is crap. Some things, sure. Others? Nope. I'd still rather pay $5 or so more on $100 than deal with a dirty grocery store, no help, poor selection, etc.

The rush has become something of a tradition around here, almost to the point where it is a joke. Richmond does not do snow well. The idea of having to go a day without bread or milk scares people.

Here's what I have: bread, milk, cereal, coffee, pretzels, plenty of lunch meat, more coffee, coffee, dog food and coffee. I'm set. Bring this shit on. I have nowhere to be until Tuesday.

4. Moderator1

Devil, you are probably right on Tebow. It's just become, well, old.

Years ago, a system around here had a new superintendent - FROM ALASKA. He didn't call off school until there was a wreck of some sort. Hey, Joe Eskimo, there's a different way of doing it around here.
    My wife's system called it off one year for the "threat" of snow that never materialized. Fifty damn degrees and the kids had a free day.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

There's three feet of snow already on the ground in Midwestern Ontario, but at this moment the sun is shining. I'm going to the beach. ;D

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People lost their minds in Alabama when the forecast called for temps in the 20s with no snow.

When it actually flurried? It was something to behold.

7. 93Devil

Nothing pisses my Super off more than calling a snow day then kids shopping in the mall later that afternoon, and he is from Oklahoma.

We have had a few kids die up here trying to get to school in the snow, and one parent die trying to get back from NOVA when school was closing early.

Sending kids to school and then sending them home early is the biggest cluster fuck you have ever seen. You cannot drop a seven-year-old off at an empty house.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No more Ukrop's? Bummer. Another Richmond tradition comes to an end. What's next? No more Spider football at City Stadium? ;D

The Ukrop's family/corporation was always a huge community/university benefactor, the model of what a local business could/should be. And Bobby U. could play some hoops back in the day.

We had serious snow twice in my four years in the city. Both times it turned into an awesome party, with Boatwright Hill awash with refectory trays serving as snowboards and Westhampton Lake being the ultimate speed bump.

9. Moderator1

Re: Oh my IJAG snow coming to where we normally do not have oh my IJAG snow :)

Yeah, I do laugh at some of the wussiness involving snow but have always believed in erring big-time on the side of caution with the kids. Not worth the chance and yes, sending them and then bringing them back early is a joke.
    Take no chances.
    But have more than a "threat" of snow first.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hate that Ukrop's sold out to that bunch. Never been a fan of Giant. On the bright side, Harris Teeter will probably now put in a few stores. Wish they could've made the purchase, as the Harris family and the Ukrops shared dairy operations back in the day. but whomever was going to buy Ukrop's was going to have to purchase a ton of bricks and mortar. They have something like 20 stores in Metro Richmond. Ten would be a plenty for a successful group of stores.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They're changing the name? That's awful. Ukrop's is an institution in that town. What's next, MillerCoors Capital Ale House? I don't know if being open Sunday and not selling alcohol will make a big difference in the big picture -- they'll probably pick up some sales for it, but they might lose sales from people who admired them for their position, and they've been the No. 1 grocery store chain in Richmond since Lee signed the papers at Appomattox.

As for WINTER FUCKFEST 09: Here in Tidewater Hampton Roads, we're supposed to get mostly rain, with possibly a little snow on the backside of the storm Saturday night that may or may not accumulate. Stupid Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay making us 10 degrees warmer than everyone else.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Every time I hear people bitch about wussiness on the part of school systems, I harken back to the Veterans Day blizzard of 1987. The forecasters called for two to four inches of snow then. I looked out my window and saw what looked to my then-14 year old eyes like a lot more than two to four inches.

Schools were delayed two hours. A bus ride that normally took me one hour to get to school took two hours. The bus driver I had at the time refused to turn the radio on EVER. By the time we finally got to school, we found out the system the school was in closed, so we had to turn around and go back.

The strict bus driver at least let us eat our lunches on the bus before we drove back home. That drive home took four hours, so the entire day that I would have spent in school was spent on the bus going to and from the school. When I finally got home, my father was absolutely furious.

Within days, the school system had me on a different school bus with a different driver. The other driver did play the radio, and would have heard if schools closed long before we'd gotten to school.

To this day, I've always supported erring on the side of caution when it comes to the kids. That clusterfuck is just not worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted