1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrapping up interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I do use that one on occasion. Just been in a rut lately with the "that's all I've got" comment. Asking high school coaches for a roster or stats usually seems to be a conversation-ender too. Seems like once they get your fax number or e-mail all they want to do is get rid of you.
    Much like a lot of my dates back when I was single.

2. Bears00

Bears00 Member

You suck. Bye. :-*

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sir, have you seen my River Dance?

[​IMG]

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Many moons ago, a reporter gave me this bit of advice as he overheard me starting an interview with a source: "Never apologize for interrupting them. Always thank them for taking your call."

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

Because questions come up during the writing that I didn't ask in the interview, and because holes in the story/column become obvious during the writing, I end every interview with a request for a phone number where I can reach the subject during the writing. I also make sure the subject knows how to reach me to add and/or clarify anything. That way, if you do make the call back (and it's somehow easier to make that call if you've already put the subject on notice that you might do it), you accomplish two important things: 1) you make the story stronger, and 2) you show the subject you're doing your damned professional best to get it right.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I always ask if there is anything else they'd like to add? Anything I missed? And always thank them for their time, before and after. And tell them if I have anything else I'll get back in touch.

And I sometimes apologize if I have to reach them at home early or late. Never know when you're waking up their kid or spouse.

Had a case the other day where we had a coach resign, but hadn't told the AD yet. So i called hime at home early the next morning (school was out for the inch of snow we had in podunk), and told him sorry for calling so early. I don't think it hurts in certain situations.

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

"Thanx, (fill in the blank), I appreciate it."

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Question. Is that?

"Thanx, (fill in the blank), I appreciate it."
    or
    "Thanx, [fill in the blank], I appreciate it."

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

"Hurry up, last call is at 2 a.m."

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

When I'm covering a game, I always finish with a handshake and "Thanks for your time" and/or "Good luck the rest of the season." For the visiting coach/players I add "Have a safe drive home."

I'm loved because I care.

11. If it's on the phone, I like to ask, "So, what are you wearing?"

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

I know this has already been said, but...

"Thanks very much for taking my call. Is there anything else that I missed or that you think would be important?"

Draft saved Draft deleted