1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrapping up interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is something that I pretty much suck at. I usually end up saying something like, "Well, that's about all I've got for you." What are some GOOD ways to wrap up an interview, especially on the phone?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks for your time.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yup.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Wanna join me at the Red Lobster?

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"Is there anything you want to say that we didn't go over?" or "Anything else going on that I would be interested in?" -- if it's a source or someone you talk to regularly. Then some variation of "thanks for your help" will do it.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

"anything you want to say off-the-record that i could give to a radio friend of mine?"

sorry. couldn't resist. :eek: ;D 8)

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

If you're not talking to a regular customer, so to speak, I like to ask them if they know anyone else who could comment or help on this topic. Sometimes it works and they offer people who'd never thought of before.

8. "That's all I need. Have a good day/night, [Name]."

9. deadliner

deadliner Member

I often ask if there was something I missed or if there is anything the person would like to add. Usually, the answer is no. But you never know.

10. I prefer:
    "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

11. I always finish with, "Is there anything else you'd like to say?"
    Sometimes you get really good stuff out of that. Most of the time not, but it leaves the opening and gives the subject the opportunity to throw in something, which I think they really value (though what they say there seldom makes it into print).
    Then I ALWAYS thank them for their time. No matter the circumstances, I always feel like time is valuable and the subject didn't have to give me any of their time.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Thanks. Now get lost, ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted