1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

God isn't the same as a RELIGION. It was the establishment of something compared to a CHURCH OF ENGLAND the authors were seeking to avoid. Shit. Read your history.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

god - with the lower case "g" - is not the same as God with the upper case "G". Also that doesn't apply to the Jewish populace as they don't spell the word out at all. Then you have the Jehovah's witnesses that can't pledge anything other than God, throw in the Buddhists who don't have "god" at all or the Muslims which have Allah.

Maybe it isn't me that needds to "read your history."

Now, go find the original Pedge of Allegience, which was written by a reverend, and tell me where "under God" exists.

3. Act
    Actually, the Constitution doesn't say either one.
    It also doesn't mention god.
    It was deliberately written as a godless document.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Esioenhower changed it, believing it necessary to acknowledge a creator.

But let's go back to the first point: The founding fathers believed in separating church and state because they saw the horrors of a land where wars were fought over one Church or another Church, because they saw that you can find reason without RELIGION, and that it doesn't matter what book you read or what prophet you follow. What matters is reason, because people will be willing to follow a law that holds no pope or priest behind the writing of it.

But just because a pope or priest is out of way does not indicate that Congress can't make a state religion, states can't establish a state religion (in fact, several of the original colonies did) or Congress can't take the Bible out of public life.' It says that Congress can *not* make a law that respects the Bible or the Catholic Church or any other Church, Synagogue, etc etc. It also can't prohibit the FREE exercise thereof.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And they sure weren't people who concocted some sort of psuedo-Catholicism that isn't really anything the Pope or scripture endorses.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps you should read yours Yawn, instead of letting your blind hatred of all things not you get in the way.

Regardless of their "intent," the language is what's important. Acknowledging a creator is in essence establishing a faith. Religion is simply the organized structure of said faith.

And you call yourself a Christian.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Y'know, now that I've posted a couple of times in this thread, I'm not really wondering why I bothered. Even if you gave completely irrefutable evidence that the sun rises in the east, Yawn would argue that it's a completely liberal Hilla-Che point of view completely negating either the Bible, the GOP or some other omnipotent force.

A battle of wits against an unarmed opponent. What's the freaking point?

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's just fun to watch Yawn go round and round, disproving himself in the same breath as saying the rest of us are idiots.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Alley said:
    [/quote]

Religion is simply the organized structure of said faith.

[/quote]

Alley, religion is a specific reference to a faith, not the existence of a deity. Otherwise, how do you describe those in here who claim a faith but not a religion?

Case closed.

And yes, I screwed up the quote function, but who givesashit?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

[​IMG]

And as much as you post spew on this site, if you haven't figured out the quote function, there's more wrong with you than idiotic opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Excuse me, your holiness.

In your mind, of course - you who do plenty of judging yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted