1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Of course, this probably draws more passion amongst the FenPhen Tribe....

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official si

Is that humor?

The Soviet national anthem actually beat the hell out of the Star Spangled Banner. How can you hear those instrumentals and not lose yourself in thoughts of an epic struggle for the world? They actually played it as just an instrumental for a time in the 60s and 70s, because of DeStalinization. Then they rewrote the lyrics. I like it better with the lyrics. It helps that I have no idea what they are saying; just that they're singing their asses off.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Soviet anthem's jumping the shark moment:

[​IMG]

5. Re: Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official si

Does deStalinization enable us to drink the seawater?

6. The Big Ragu

Re: Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official si

Only the sea water near Chernobyl.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I was COMPARING that song to Ray Charles' America the Beautiful, which the way he sings it should be our national anthem, and there's a hell of a lot more passion and soul in that than the Russian alternative.

Yet, still, it would figure that the "Soviet" anthem gets more response here than Ray Charles' masterpiece, which I witnessed in person at the 1984 GOP Convention in DallASS.. I'm going to call racism on that.

8. The Big Ragu

Yawn's calling racism... Someone, quick, get the NAACP on the phone!

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Another stellar thread, Yawn.

You're a winner.

10. The veal really was tasty, thanks.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think we should hire Borat to sing our National Anthem. The Kazhak N.A. is quite stirring.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

It actually was ok until his 2nd post, he figured the 1st was actually ok and civil and he can;t have that on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted