1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrap around A section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Aug 16, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This story is on Romenesko today, and it quotes an anonymous Times-Dispatch emailer saying the news staff was "shocked and angry" over an ad section that wrapped around the A section on Sunday.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/142837/newspaper-ad-covering-front-page-shocks-staff-but-its-a-real-snoozer-to-readers/

All three South Florida papers did this a month ago, and I raised my eyebrows briefly, then realized the entire intact A section was inside. they all simply ran the flag over the top of the ad, but then repeated it again on the actual news front.

I guess it's a sign of the times that as a reader and former employee of all three papers, I was neither shocked nor angry, and I think that the Times-Dispatch newsroom probably has plenty more worthy things to be shocked and angry about. Probably brought in some pretty good money, and it didn't really disrupt the real paper at all.

These days, I'm having a hard time summoning outrage over revenue producers like this.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Charles Apple had a post about a different recent occurance of this trend, in the Virginian-Pilot.

http://apple.copydesk.org/2011/08/07/what-i-love-and-dont-love-about-todays-virginian-pilot-front-page/

He includes links to other examples.

I'm curious as to the effect on single-copy sales. Does a paper's reputation sell single copies, or does a great cover sell single copies? My newspaper has never done any above-the-fold 1A advertising that I recall, aside from a tiny ad that appears in our flag. Does anyone have numbers?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The stuff the L.A. Times did a couple of years back for Southland and the King Kong movie were worse. Not that this is a good thing, but it's reached the point that if it's producing money, what the hell.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, that was a totally different deal where they basically took out the front page.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Must have been a Media General wide thing. My paper had the same ad on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted