1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow - who knew Jeff Foxworthy had this in him?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 23, 2007.

1. I was floored by this speech

Good for Jeff Foxworthy

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Nice speech.

The music still sucks.

3. Can't get it to load.
    What's up?

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Jeff prattles about how country music lovers are more family-oriented, more Christian and more American than the heathen folk like you and I.

Nice speech.

The music still sucks.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, that's exactly what it was.

You're a douche.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He's defending country music against people like Joe Rossi. He's talking TO country music fans ABOUT country music. He's saying it's not PC, and it's not about messing other people up. It's about life.

It's basically a rewrite of Trace Adkins "Songs About Me." i.e. "This music speaks to me."

7. Uh-oh.
    Does that mean I have to remove from my collection all the country music I own that contains references to murder, infidelity, rape, and drunkenness? The problem is, most modern country music is pre-packaged, fake rockabilly bullshit. The real stuff -- the serious, dark stuff -- never gets played. And "not PC" continues to be the lamest synonym for "crude and stupid" ever devised by man.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"It doesn't take political sides, even on things as ugly as war. Instead, it goes to celebrate the brave men and women who go to fight 'em, the price they pay to do it and the longing we have for them to return home to the ones they love."

Dixie Chicks among them, not that country radio might ever play "Travelin' Soldier" ever again.

9. Fenian - People ban books like Huckleberry Finn and Slaughterhouse Five because they are "not PC" - would you argue those books are "crude and stupid"?

I will agree with you that some of the pop-country stuff can be plain vapid wastes of recording time but spreading a generalization over most modern country is equally crude and stupid.

Why not simply say that you don't like most of the modern country offerings and leave it at that? All country songs can't be Sunday Morning Coming Down. And try to listen to the Foxworthy speech before passing judgement from on high.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, by "not PC" he means they sing about God. And he's not talking about darkness. He's talking about singing about love and loss, women and men, relationships and trouble, kids and everything else.

He's not saying it's perfect. He's saying he likes it, and here's why. I thought it was nice.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't ask Hank what the music's about.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted