1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, tonight's SNL is really funny . . . just kidding

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So, so excruciating.

Not sure about the pairing of "Precious: From the novel Push by Sapphire" star Gabourey Sidibe and MGMT. But this Weekend Update . . . how could anyone think this "Just kidding" character Judy Grimes is funny? How is she recurring?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

All I know is May 8 is Betty White and Jay-Z. I'll tune in for that one.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm about to type this, but Keenan Thompson made me laugh. The bit about Steve Harvey hosting "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" was going nowhere until the question about the Icelandic volcano. He stumbled all over its name, looking like a first-grader forced to read it. The question was what city it's located nearest. As bad as his pronunciation of the volcano name was, he gets past it. Then, the name of the four cities pops up and the look on his face was priceless.

Other than that, I didn't so far as chuckle once.

I'm left, once again, wondering where SNL gets its audience. They laugh uproariously at shit so inane that wouldn't be found funny or cute at a grade school talent show.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The material wasn't funny and Gabourey Sidibe was terrible.

5. everything on SNL these days is a "parody" of some TV show, or a real person.
    In the old days, they made up their own characters - Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray, Radner, Hartman, Murray etc.
    Now mocking CNN is supposed to be comedy.
    Brutal stuff.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you just had to use the whole title, didn't ya

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

SNL has always done parody, from "Jeopardy" to the Sinatra group to Larry King to CNN, etc. It's not like it's something new to SNL, or that they're doing it more often than they have in the past.

8. But not what seems to essentially be the entire show. If you go back a little further than Will Ferrell, you'll see characters like Fred Garvin, male prostitute, E. Buzz Miller, Emily Litella, the Greek Restaurant, Samarai chef, hell, even the Church Lady and Wayne's World -- they created their own characters.
    Christ, Fred Armisen's "impersonations" of either Obama or Larry King are freaking brutal. There's barely even any parody. It's just a crappy impersonation.
    You want to see a great parody of a president? Aykroyd as Nixon pretending the tapes were just him goofing around. I guess its the difference between intelligent parody and just putting on suspenders and saying "caller."

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dooley must have been thrilled. He likes those portly woman.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but back then, SNL was one of the few games in town. Now, there is little incentive to stick around, since (iirc) the wages are pretty low and there are so many alternatives. I think Jay Mohr wrote that he got about $5,500 a week, which isn't a lot considering the schedule (soul crushing) and what you could make in another entertainment job and that you have to live in NYC. (WikiAnswers said that as of 2001, Ferrell has the highest yearly salary at $350,000.) This cuts both ways, in terms of writing and the comedians.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They've created some entertaining skits.
    I love What's Up With That.
    OK, that might be it.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

MGMT is awesome. SNL hasn't been funny in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted