1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow RIP Dave Gavitt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. for all of his accomplishments, i'll most fondly think og the marvin barnes/ernie digregorio teams gavitt coached to the final four in the early '70s ('73, i think). talk about a fun team to watch! and in the days way before college hoops oversaturation on tv, it was truly exhilerating to first see 'em on the tube and look forward to any future opportunities. ;)

r.i.p., coach gavitt. :'(

and thanks for such fond memories.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A sad day. Spent many an evening in my formative years at the not-yet-dunk watching his great Friars teams.
    He stole a lot of big wins against deeper teams by constantly switching defenses and confusing the hell out of them. I wonder why coaches don't do that today (I do remember a first-round NCAA game a few years ago when big foul trouble forced Boeheim to do it, and 'Cuse wiped out a double-digit deficit), but then again, the average Top 25 college hoops team was probably much more fundamentally sound in the '70s than today.

4. Is it me or does it seem most obituaries of Gavitt pretend that his years with the Boston Celtics never happened?

Also want to note that Gavitt got his coaching start as an assistant at Worcester Academy.

RIP to a giant of college sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted