1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, I haven't seen this many white people in the Super Dome since. . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daemon, Sep 25, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If th
    If that's the case, ESPN certainly should have interviewed some of them before and during the game.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've always preferred to think of myself as neither liberal nor conservative.

Threads like this don't make me lean toward the liberal side, though.

Any of you been down there to help rebuild homes? (No, I haven't either.)

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the Atlanta-New Orleans rivalry has always had large numbers of visiting fans in the stadiums, and they, like the home crowds, have substantial black representation. And that's just like it is normally in those stadiums, which have always appeared to me to have the most minority butts in the seats in the NFL.

Color me stunned, though, that Spike Lee didn't hit the softball Kornheiser tossed him. Despite the post-game spewfest headed by Stu Scott, which featured Steve Young saying that this game means New Orleans will recover, the city's in fuck-awful condition. I have friends over there whose houses survived the storm that are planning on staying, but are thinking about selling their places and renting because they see the real possibility that the city could fall completely apart in the near future. I have friends that lost their houses and are part of the diaspora. We all know what toll that the storm has taken on our fellow journalists there and here in Mississippi.

The game tonight isn't going to actually do anything to get them back in town or fix their personal predicaments. The politicians, or more likely the grass-roots folks doing the real work there, will determine the future of that city and our region.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nice post, Del. I think those of us who don't live in the affected areas really don't know shit.

5. The music selection struck me as bizarre, too.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Del on how Spike Lee played it mostly safe during his few minutes with the MNF gang. I remember him saying something like "stuff just isn't right" but he totally could have gone on a 5-minute rant that probably would have ended in the production truck cutting off his mike. Too bad.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To retain any semblance of academic credibility, NC has to destroy any evidence that
    Stuey ever went there.

8. Del_B_Vista

And I'll say ABC took some pretty huge risks with some of their choices last night. They get a band who had a song on their critically acclaimed last album that had a song titled "American Idiot" about W, and then let Spike Lee have his own headset in the booth. You know the Archie Mannings and Avery Johnsons are going to play it right down the middle on their sideline interviews, but with Green Day and Mars Blackmon, they could have gotten just about anything. (And I know about delays, but folks can read lips and if they had to bleep a huge chunk of audio because of an anti-W screed, it would have been news just as big as if you could hear it.)

9. Del_B_Vista

I wouldn't say that, but people can't sit in Minneapolis and think they have the magic bullet and it's red or blue. There ain't no magic bullet, and it isn't a Republican-Democrat issue. Hell, I don't have a great feel for what's going on in NOLA. I can't put a pin on a map of NOLA and be certain I'd hit the Lower Ninth Ward (I might get the right general area), and they can't find Henderson Point on a map (it's a residential area just west of Pass Christian that is now a meadow). We've got our own set of problems we're trying to fix over here, and that's way more than I can keep up with.

10. busuncle

busuncle Member

he must have been reading SJ

Draft saved Draft deleted