1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, Have You Ever Heard of Such A Thing????

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Not sports, but still:

A Spartanburg (SC) television crew was attacked Tuesday in Union while covering a story about a man charged with killing his grandfather with a blow to the head, according to authorities.

Three relatives of Michael Shane Howell, who was charged with murder, were charged with assault and battery in what authorities called an assault on reporter Charmayne Brown and photographer Ti Barnes of WSPA-TV. Charges are pending on a fourth person, according to the Union Public Safety Department.

Alex Bongiorno, news director for Channel 7, said Brown and Barnes were "taunted" with racial slurs "all day long" while on the scene, and that they continued after the attack. She declined to discuss their injuries, but said she was "very proud" of the crew for maintaining a "professional demeanor and attitude."

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, I heard it on SportsJournalists.com yesterday.

3. I know the lady personally. Great television reporter, been around for 12 years, did not deserve this crap from a bunch of rednecks

4. Crime scenes are always a little dicey - especially with a lot of family members involved. This same situation could have happened to me many times, but luckily never did.

It's just a microcosm of some of the public's distate for the media.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That, or their general bigotry. As was noted on the original thread, there was another crew there, with a white reporter, who got none of the racial slurs, but did get the incident on tape.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53937/

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't a tv reporter get shot in LA?

Why do I remember this happening outside a courthouse? A handgun and a tree?

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was a lawyer, not a reporter, but it was done in front of a TV photographer who captured the whole thing.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

Is this what you're talking about?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It's a microcosm of some people being total assholes.

Draft saved Draft deleted