1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you touch this story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, May 12, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not with Bea Arthur's ...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Suggested lede:

The bad news is that Podunk High is missing its star softball hurler this season, but the good news is another one is one the way in about 16 years!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you do a story like that I can guarantee at least one "you're glorifying teen pregnancy" letter and one letter wondering why you're not writing about the girls who didn't get pregnant and didn't let their teammates down.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

To which I say: So?

The comments on the website are bound to be even more graphic.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you base story selection on the amount of letters to the editor you MIGHT get, you'd never write anything.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hey if the story subject is cool with it - fine. But as writers we're more familiar with story reactions, I think you owe it to a kid that not everyone is going to react positively. I've probably talked some kids out of agreeing to a story once or twice because I wanted to make certain that they and their families were ready for all types of reactions.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I love this place.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I say it's not worth it.
    The only way it's close to worthwhile is if your paper covers softball so intently that it keeps regular track of all injuries and absenses. Do people really care that much about Podunk High's softball team?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Obviously not. This is a story that trascends sports. You know, to attract more readers than your typical softball crowd.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think some of you people aren't very good at your jobs.

10. It's not your decision, it's hers. If she's okay with doing the story, go for it. If not, back off.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Perhaps not, but some of us are working very hard at being good human beings. So the question gives me pause.

Thinking about our market, I could imagine reaching out to the family if this was a solid D-I prospect or a kid who was our player of the year last season and now she's out for the year. Just some kid on just some team? I think I could live (and live with myself) without reading that.

12. it's shocking.

people ... when you cover preps, and you have a chance to break out of the game story / notes / preview / sidebar rut with a story like this, you do it.

tell her story.

Draft saved Draft deleted