1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you take a morality pill?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

A brave new world we live in

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yet another step forward for science, which can offer as many answers for morality and life guidance as does religion. Serious question ... will we get to a point in human history that religion ceases to exist? Will it been seen as folly?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll wait for the generic to go on the market

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Would you take the morality pill if it meant you would also think bread gloves are a real product?

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Can you clarify?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

After the rapture?

7. Never.
    So long as there are unanswered questions (in anyone's mind), religion will always exist.

8. CentralIllinoisan

Religion. The belief of a higher power. Groups that work to halt progress and always fail -- and yet are there to take credit when the next technological advance arises, crediting it all "God's grand plan."

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That's funny. I've never heard any evangelical groups taking credit for the iPad. Or actively campaigning against the iPad. It's more entertaining to listen to those who know so little about religion rail against it as if they are superior. There's got to be some explanation for religion, other than people are stoopid.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nice!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Science answers the questions of the physical universe and works to improve humanity as a whole -- make it healthier, go faster, go farther, discover what was the universe like before we started documenting history. Religion offers a guide in how we approach life, relationships and ultimately our death. There's no reason to declare religion as bunk just because we have an iPad or we know the earth revolves around the sun. Science can't answer what happens after death beyond that our vital functions cease to work. Religion at least gives us a peace when it comes to the end of life. If we get to a place where no one believe in a religion, I doubt it will be seen as any more folly than we concider ancient Egyptians who made mummies believing it prepared the body for the afterlife.

12. CentralIllinoisan

If you believe something exists only to "give peace when it comes to the end of life" you are basically saying it's only purpose is as an aesthetic. Also, who says science can't help us answer questions about morality and human well-being?

As for this: "It's more entertaining to listen to those who know so little about religion rail against it as if they are superior."

You're backward; The MORE I learn about religion, the MORE I want to point out its shortcomings. Also, not about being superior, it's about seeing the world as it is -- and hoping more people can join along.

Draft saved Draft deleted