1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jan 13, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

i used to subscribe to USA Today, but it would arrive about two days late sometimes. now, i get it at the vendor. and still can't get used to it being a dollar. i still have the habit of reaching for two quarters or three quarters when it was 50 and 75 cents.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

At my previous stop, I didn't subscribe to the metro I worked for and subscribed to the small weekly paper covering the community in which we lived. Everything in the metro was online for free before it was in print; why would I pay to get the same stuff later? I subscribed to the small weekly because it contained information I couldn't get elsewhere.

Newspapers and websites need to ask the question: Why would someone be compelled to read us? It seems too many don't have an answer to that.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

our boss man refuses at this moment to go all out with our online edition. he believes it will make a major dent into the subscriptions for the print edition. down the line, he says, we plan to do more "breaking" stuff, yada, but for now, it's simply a "tease."

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When I first separated from my wife, I didn't get the paper for a long time, and then my kids said, "You have to read the daily paper" and got it for me for Father's Day. And I've kept up the subscription.

But the next time it's time to re-up, I'm not so sure. We'll see.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted