1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you run this pic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DemoChristian, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As far as the original photo in question: As long as no naughy bits were visible, 'taint no problem. :)

But as far as the Franco chick from Paraguay goes: Keep 'em coming!

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

"I was in the pool! I was in the pool!"

3. BH33

BH33 Member

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Liukin photo, as far as it being inappropriate. What does it show? Unless I'm looking at it wrong, everything that needs to be covered up is covered up. If we eliminate this one, do we eliminate virtually all wrestling shots?

I think anyone looking at that photo would view it for what it is - a photo of a girl doing a flip in gymnastics, and nothing more.

Now, I agree that there were much better photos, and this wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of my list of photos to run, but there's nothing wrong it. If it was a good photo and was the best photo to run with the story, you go with it and deal with the one or two calls you'd get, if any.

As for the Johnson butt photo, I don't get that one. Why AP would send it, and why anybody would print it, is beyond me.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Photos like that are why I'm still alive. /Ernest Borgnine crossthreading

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Simon Cowbell said it once....

I tend not to run the crotch of minors.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

she's 20.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, she's halfway to becoming a man?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only in your freaky world, my man.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I had an editor veto a couple shots about the same as this and I was livid at the time - they actually captured the action - but I can see how a good portion of the population might bitch about this. It isn't right (the photo is absolutely fine), but you'd probably hear it if you ran it.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, keep hatin' on those fuckers who think about the bigger picture.
    it makes a lotta sense.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've kept my mouth shut on this thread so far. But, no longer. While I personally don't find the photo offensive, I find the photo to be a horrible photo. Really. It's just not a good picture. It does nothing at all to capture the essence of what she did.

Now, the other photo someone posted, of her over the beam, with her back arched. Wow. That one captured all that she accomplished that night.

Why SI would choose the upside-down photo over the arched-back one is beyond me. It's a much, much better picture that truly represents this event.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I ran the arched-back photo. (I don't even remember the first one when I went through the NT Server photos from the event.) Were it a similar photo of a local gymnast, no way in hell, unless I have a death wish. Mostly, I know that for the Olympics, AP's going to move at least three other photos that tell the story as well or better without getting me angry phone calls.

Draft saved Draft deleted