1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you run the name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Desk_dude, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Not sure I read you right. Are you saying that all victims of sexual assault should be identified in the media? Or are you saying only in certain cases?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does the seriousness of the crime change peoples' responses?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nope.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow. I couldn't possibly disagree with you more on this one. No way should you identify the victims.

Maybe if it all turns out to be bullshit, then you put her name out there. But unless that happens, no fucking way. Victims need that kind of protection so they will be able to come forward.

5. I'm saying the AP policy is inconsistent. It's also unfair in cases where the alleged assaults are proven false or unfounded.

Why do victims of sexual assault - and just sexual assault - get preferential treatment of anonymity?
    If you are are the victim of any other crime - pick one - you are named. In the police reports we run, your general address also appears in print. WTF? Be it burglary, assault, attempted murder your name and street address appears in the paper.
    For whatever reason, the AP has deemed sexual assault to be some sort of sacred line that should not be crossed.

I think it is very inconsistent. And it is not fair to the accused. Look at the what happened to the Duke Lacrosse kids.

I realize my stance is not a popular one but I think alleged sexual assault victims are afforded an unfair protection by the AP.
    I have lost count of the number of stories I have written of sexual assualt claims - against high school and college kids - than were unproven. But we wrote stories - complete with mug shots - about the arrests and charges.
    One recently, against a college kid by a ex-girlfriend, was unfounded. But the stigma caused the kid to drop out of school.
    He is still lambasted in a wingnut blog every month as a sex offender who got off.
    Do an Internet search for the accused and this is the shit that pops up first - not the fact the claim was bogus or the charges were dimisssed. Anytime someone wants to Google him - that's what comes up.
    The alleged victim? ... ... ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can't or you don't?

Draft saved Draft deleted