1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you prefer to live in Vancouver, Seattle or Portland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 11, 2018.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Great city. When we moved to the Eugene area, we hit Oregon on I-84 on a rainy Friday night. Realizing I was too tired to finish the trip, we stopped for the night at the Best Western in Hood River. We've gone through the city multiple times since and love it.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That is actually one reason that I recommended Portland to my son. He is determined not to own a car. I don't know why. My understanding is that Portland has good mass transit.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

I have always thought having a newspaper route in Denver was a tough job. Delivering papers in a blizzard was hell. I can not imagine doing it in Winnipeg.

4. LanceyHoward

The problem with any small town is the local job market. My son telecommutes and can live anywhere but where does his roommate find a professional job in a town that small?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not the small town I grew up in. :)

Careers at ORNL | ORNL

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My brother moved to Portland a little over ten years ago. We compare notes about how Portland and Nashville have changed. Sometimes it seems like we're living in the same city.

As for "Portlandia," I think it's a chocolate and vanilla thing. You like it or you don't. My brother was involved with the first season and had good things to say about it, so maybe I'm biased. Some of the situations and types they joke about are present in Nashville, too, so there's that whole Max Weber shock of recognition thing going on where I might be rewarding myself for recognizing what I perceive as socially coded expression. It's not, really. This also works with a lot of reference-laden comedy. Anyway...

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody watch the 60 minutes thing last night on Portland?

When 60 Minutes says you're "over" - you're "over." Hopefully all the bandwagon jumpers will split to Denver, Salt Lake (don't laugh) or Boise.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What's the average ago of a 60 Minutes viewer? Probably about the same as the average age of its hosts. Those people aren't moving to Portland in the first place. If its economy stays prosperous, it'll attract more people. If not, then not.

9. LanceyHoward

A couple years back 60.5. I doubt if the audience has gotten younger since then,

Gray Gardens: Broadcast Audience Older Than Ever – Adweek

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Somebody has to buy the grossly expensive real estate in these places. Can't be all hipsters.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Florida-living boomers own all the buildings and live off the nice income they get from hipsters paying $4,000 for a 2-bedroom that they share with six people.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted